Report Metadata

• Original Question:

"I am curious to know how my fellow SSRS report authors and admins out there approach the task of documenting metadata for their reports."

I was a SQL DBA/Developer for 20 years, and documenting metadata was always a big passion of mine. I always believed that a comprehensive

up to date metadata layer saved me a lot of headaches and even provided advantages to the self service users for reports.

In the early days, we would roll our own, but things were much simpler back then.

In my opinion, a metadata management software is the way to go here. If you want to avoid building your own.

Here is such a tool, and there is a free evaluation, best practices blogs and some videos if you are interested in this topic.

http://www.infolibcorp.com/

• From reading the posts on this topic, an idea is to use sort of a hybrid system . That is, I would explain the purpose of the report and anything that needs explaining- within the report itself just as in a text field. This would be geared towards the end user. I also like the idea of taking the documented items intended for a word document and storing them in a database table. Perhaps there is a way to link a report to the information from the table (perhaps a sub-report) upon user request. This would be intended more for a developer.

----------------------------------------------------

• I would like to see SSRS expose a report catalog system view that is compatible with ISO 15836 Dublin Core metadata element set. These are open standards for metadata.

• Jim Tredinnick - Monday, January 16, 2017 2:46 PM

I would like to see SSRS expose a report catalog system view that is compatible with ISO 15836 Dublin Core metadata element set. These are open standards for metadata.

• Jim Tredinnick - Monday, January 16, 2017 2:46 PM

I would like to see SSRS expose a report catalog system view that is compatible with ISO 15836 Dublin Core metadata element set. These are open standards for metadata.

• bbrewer 62909 - Monday, January 16, 2017 4:20 PM

Jim Tredinnick - Monday, January 16, 2017 2:46 PM

Since SSRS Metadata is XML, you can transform using xslt to dublin easily enough. in your workflow.
    or use a framework that allows this type of integration / onboarding of metadata from 3rd party systems to a 
    "Preferred standard format"
    Canonical.
    see: http://www.infolibcorp.com

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply