Report Model Security!!!

• Hi,

I have given access to specif user to access one model as browser& report builder.

But user can see,access and create reports on all models instead of only one in report builder.

User is not a member of administrator group.

How can I set permission to access,view and create report on only one model in report builder?

Please suggest me encounter this problem.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank You

Stad

• I'm sure there are other ways to do this. However, for simplicity we have done it a the folder level.

Datasources

Type 1

Type 2

This was done though because I don't believe in granting security at a file level. It's two difficult to manage in the long run.

What you do at the Type 1 and Type 2 folder level is to break the Parent Security and grant an AD group Browser, Publisher access. At the parent level you need to ensure is Browser access in granted. This will enable user to navigate down the folder tree.

• Carlton thank you for reply.

Actually I have

Home

Data sources

Report Model 1

Report model 2

Report model 3

Report model 4

Newly created user can access all folders.When report builder get open on right hand side of report builder new user can see all report models to create report instead of just one.

I tried by changing access role to publisher but it didnt work.

• Just want to make sure of your security is it like this

DataSources

UserA Browser

UserB Browser

Report Model 1

UserA Browser, Publisher

Report Model 2

UserB Browser, Publisher

Report Model 3

UserA Browser, Publisher

UserB Browser, Publisher

UserA should see

Datasources

Report Model 1

Report Model 3

UserB should see

Datasources

Report Model 2

Report Model 3

I am second guessing the need for Publisher. However, I think it was a requirement in order to consume the model in report builder.

update: Publisher is required to consume the model. The test model button fails unless publisher is granted to the user.

Are you using Report Builder 3.0?

• Carlton B Ramsey (1/18/2011)

Just want to make sure of your security is it like this

DataSources

UserA Browser

UserB Browser

Report Model 1

UserA Browser, Publisher

Report Model 2

UserB Browser, Publisher

Report Model 3

UserA Browser, Publisher

UserB Browser, Publisher

UserA should see

Datasources

Report Model 1

Report Model 3

UserB should see

Datasources

Report Model 2

Report Model 3

I am second guessing the need for Publisher. However, I think it was a requirement in order to consume the model in report builder.

update: Publisher is required to consume the model. The test model button fails unless publisher is granted to the user.

Are you using Report Builder 3.0?

Yes permissions are set exactly same as you posted and publisher role is assigned already.And yes I'm using Report builder 3.0 SSRS 2005 Enterprise edition.

• Please provide some solution its very pressing requiement for me now.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thnks!

Stad

• Have you checked the security for the Home folder?

• Stad,

Sorry. I thought I notifications turn on for this topic.

I'm not sure. I tested that configureation and I had a user that didn't have access and granted just that access and they where able to see the report. When I removed the access they lost access to the model.

The home folder should not be a concern because you are going to change security at the datasource folder. So anything defined at the home will be dropped at the datasource folder level.

Hopefully, you where able to get the answer you were looking for. BTW I'm using SQL Server 2008 R2 Report Services so it may be a 2005 behavior. I don't have an enviroment where I can test that though.

• Scott

Home folder has Browser access.

• Carlton B Ramsey (1/20/2011)

Stad,

Sorry. I thought I notifications turn on for this topic.

I'm not sure. I tested that configureation and I had a user that didn't have access and granted just that access and they where able to see the report. When I removed the access they lost access to the model.

The home folder should not be a concern because you are going to change security at the datasource folder. So anything defined at the home will be dropped at the datasource folder level.

Hopefully, you where able to get the answer you were looking for. BTW I'm using SQL Server 2008 R2 Report Services so it may be a 2005 behavior. I don't have an enviroment where I can test that though.

As per recent research I came to know when report builder connects with reporting services,it connects with admin account which is saved in local machine so dosnt make difference by which user you are connected with Report manager url.

But dont know how to save custom userid in local machine which needs to be connect with Report manger url for test.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply