report optimization

• i have a parameterized report it has like 4 parameters , so according to the requirements i choose the paramaeter values to look into the report, the report pulls the data from the fact tables ,

but every time i pull the reports , its taking long time ,

can anybody help me with this issue

• Please post table definitions, index definitions and execution plan, as per http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Have you captured the query being run by the report and run it in SSMS to view the execution plan to determine if you can optimize the query? If the query is optimized then the issue is not the query returning the data, but the rendering of the report.

Oh and if you provide what Gail has asked then it would be easier to offer a real answer.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• just checked the execution plan and it seems like "clusterd index scan cost = 0%" and "table scan is 94%"

• so when you talk of rendering the report .....do you think i should work on report caching ...and the data is not updated in the tables like till the end of every month

• koolme_85 (12/30/2010)

just checked the execution plan and it seems like "clusterd index scan cost = 0%" and "table scan is 94%"

Can you post the plan please, along with the table and index definitions? Hard to do anything other than guess without.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Without knowing the structure of the tables and the query it is hard to offer accurate advice.

How long does it take for the query to run in SSMS in relation to the time it takes the report to run?

Based on what you've posted thus far it looks like, for this report, you may need to add an index on the table that has the table scan. Before you do that you need to understand how the table is used elsewhere and any other indexes on the table because having too many indexes can cause performance issues just like having too few or incorrect indexes can.

I don't think report caching is th issue here, I think it is the query and database itself.

Jack Corbett

• Thanks for the suggestions guys , i actually ran the query in database engine tuning advisor

and it gave me some recomandations , i have to create some indexes and stastics on the columns and

the estimated improvement is about 99.00%

• Don't just go and implement them. DTA's a pile of junk most of the time.

Take each recommendation. Test it. See if it improves the report and does not degrade anything else. If so, implement that recommendation. Repeat until you've evaluated all of them. Don't implement anything that doesn't help.

Gail Shaw

• GilaMonster (12/30/2010)

Don't just go and implement them. DTA's a pile of junk most of the time.

Take each recommendation. Test it. See if it improves the report and does not degrade anything else. If so, implement that recommendation. Repeat until you've evaluated all of them. Don't implement anything that doesn't help.

Ditto and also from my last post:

Before you do that you need to understand how the table is used elsewhere and any other indexes on the table because having too many indexes can cause performance issues just like having too few or incorrect indexes can.

Jack Corbett

• OK will do thanks , i have another question , its in SSIS , i have actually posted the issue ,

i dont know if you had a chance of looking at it ?

• hi ,

well i have created nonclustered indexes on the the colums thats used in where and group by claus

but the seems to be having no improvements in reports

is there any other way ... ?

• koolme_85 (12/31/2010)

hi ,

well i have created nonclustered indexes on the the colums thats used in where and group by claus

but the seems to be having no improvements in reports

is there any other way ... ?

Yes: post table def incl. index def together with the actual execution plan you have right now.

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• We need the tables structures (including indexes), the query, and the execution plan in order to give any more advice.

Jack Corbett

• the indexes i have created is like this

CREATE NONCLUSTERED INDEX [MyTableIndex] ON [dbo].[MM_EOMRetail]

(

[accountbranchnumber ] ASC,

[accounttype ] ASC,

[division] ASC,

[groupname] ASC,

[postdatedimkey] ASC,

[branchname],

[accounttypedesc]

)WITH (STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE = OFF, SORT_IN_TEMPDB = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, DROP_EXISTING = OFF, ONLINE = OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS = ON) ON [PRIMARY]

GO

the execution plan showes this

select cost = 0% , nestedloops(innerjoin) cost = 0% , indexseek(nonclustered) [MM_EOMretail].[mytableindex] cost = 50% , RID lookup(heap) [MM_EOMRetail] cost = 50%

the table definition is

Column_name Type Computed Length Prec Scale Nullable TrimTrailingBlanks FixedLenNullInSource Collation

postdatedimkey int no 4 10 0 yes (n/a) (n/a) NULL

currentbalance money no 8 19 4 yes (n/a) (n/a) NULL

accountbranchnumber int no 4 10 0 yes (n/a) (n/a) NULL

accountnumber bigint no 8 19 0 yes (n/a) (n/a) NULL

accounttype varchar no 1 yes no yes SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

accounttypedesc varchar no 8 yes no yes SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

productcode varchar no 8 yes no yes SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

monthname varchar no 8 yes no yes SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

departmentcodekey int no 4 10 0 yes (n/a) (n/a) NULL

condensecodedesc varchar no 40 yes no yes SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

statementdesc varchar no 30 yes no yes SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

branchname varchar no 100 yes no yes SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

groupname varchar no 100 yes no yes SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

division varchar no 2 yes no yes SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

index_name index_description index_keys

MyTableIndex nonclustered located on PRIMARY accountbranchnumber, accounttype, division, groupname, postdatedimkey, branchname, accounttypedesc

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply