Reporting Service embedded in our web application.

• We have a web application that has a reporting piece in it. We are looking to replace all the reports which are currently done via legacy code, Procs / SQL, and poor HTML / PDF rendering. The current reports are slow (not so much on the database side, but more rendering and lack of paging data) The reports are also ugly, and the code is difficult to maintain.

So, we currently use RS for internal uses, and I thought it'd be cool to possibly use RS within our web application.

I've already put together a demo already on how to use the RS Viewer control from a web page for our static reports. Now, aside from the obivous challenges being that RS is a POS with Firefox, Chrome, etc., we have one challenge that seems like the deal breaker for using RS. The deal breaker is that we have alot of reports that are "customizable" by the user, meaning they can select what columns to display / filter on / etc. Now obviously I do not want to just give the users ability to use Report Builde, mostly because these are not "technical people" we are talking about. What other options do I have?

Is it possible for use to build a simpler web UI that uses a Report Builder API under the covers but allows us the flexibility to not show a bunch of crap that would just confuse our users, while also adding more control to what we can / cannot display in these customizable reports. Does an API like this even exist?

Sorry the the long question, but I thought I needed a detailed explanation. Your thoughts and ideas will be much appreciated.

A.J.
    DBA with an attitude

• Is it possible for use to build a simpler web UI that uses a Report Builder API under the covers but allows us the flexibility to not show a bunch of crap that would just confuse our users, while also adding more control to what we can / cannot display in these customizable reports. Does an API like this even exist?

I don't think you can use Report Builder in your application however SSRS 2008 comes with Table as one of your options including stored proc and sql statements. I think you could use Reportviewer with all browsers because running test for Asp.net application for all browsers is a developers job.

The trick for users building each report is with stored procedure parameters and running sub reports using different stored procedures. Try the 2008 Report Builder 2.0 I have read very good things about it and you can run that from any Report Server site.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply