Reporting Services 2005 not exporting to Excel 2002

• I believe that this is an issue relating to the PC rather than RS in general, but thought I would pose this anyway.

I have a user who can not export a report to excel, although they can to other formats (csv,pdf etc). Other users in the company can export without any problems.

If they use a different pc they can export using the same version of excel. Is there any way of knowing / establishing if there is a specific service pack / bug fix that might be missing that would account for this issue?

-------------------------------Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden [/url]Smart way to ask a question
    There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand (the world). There is no such thing as a dumb question. ― Carl Sagan
    I would never join a club that would allow me as a member - Groucho Marx

• I don't know of any SP or hotfixes for Excel 2002 that would cause this to happen, but since I support that version also I'm interested in what you may find. Are the machines identical? Same Service Pack level Build number etc? Does one perhaps have some sort of A/V or HIPS in place that the other does not? Different GPO's that may affect this behavior?

Can a different user logged into the problem machine generate the Excel document? It'd be good to narrow it down to a profile specific issues if possible. It may be a one of the I.E. settings but you would think that would cause issues for any file, not just excel ones.

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Thanks for the reply

Are the machines identical?

Hardware yes software no different users can have variations of a "core" build

Same Service Pack level Build number etc?

As far as I could tell yes

Does one perhaps have some sort of A/V or HIPS in place that the other does not? Different GPO's that may affect this behavior?

A/V (anti virus if I understand you correctly) is the same across all pc's - HIPS - sorry don't understand what you mean by that. Ditto GPO's

If I or the user log onto and use my PC the reports can be exported - but logging onto their PC I can't which is was leads me to believe it is that PC that is the issue. The problem remains even if the PC concerned is rebuild we don't know that this will cure the issue. We could spend an age looking at dll versions and the like on the two PCs. Just thought that some one out there had seen something similar as could point in the right direction as I appreciate that this is a bit nebulous.

Regards

Stuart

-------------------------------Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden [/url]Smart way to ask a question
    There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand (the world). There is no such thing as a dumb question. ― Carl Sagan

• Sorry, yes a/v= antivirus. HIPS=Host-based intrusion Prevention System, GPO=Group Policy Object.

HIPS is the same thing as network intrusion dection systems (IDS) but at the host level. The idea is that it will stop a zero day bug before there are A/V Dats for it and such.

GPO's are created by your domain/enterprise admins and can affect just about anything on the PC, from IE settings to desktop backgrounds, windows updates to the applications installed. Some are settings that affect the user, others that affect the computer itself. If they machines are in two different OU's(Organizational units) that have different GPO's set for the machines, they can act very differently.

I agree that this is something that you can spend days/weeks tracking down, and perhaps re-imaging the machine might be the best/most efficient course, I was just trying to ascertain if it was profile or machine specific. It's much easier to rebuild a profile than an entire machine was the thinking...

Does the user have any additional popup blockers or IE toolbars installed that might be catching the popup? Are you seeing any error messages on the local machine or server?

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• HIPS is the same thing as network intrusion dection systems (IDS) but at the host level. The idea is that it will stop a zero day bug before there are A/V Dats for it and such.

HIPS are the same then

GPO would be different for them to me but both of us can run the extract on other (I think we're up 15) different PCs

Does the user have any additional popup blockers or IE toolbars installed that might be catching the popup?

One of my first thoughts - sadly no nothing as simple as that and enabling / disabling them in IE doesn't any difference.

Are you seeing any error messages on the local machine or server?

No in either case - I think we will give the user a different PC for a couple of days and see what happens from there.

Thanks

Stuart

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply