Reporting Services

• Can somebody explain

What is the difference between OLTP and Reporting services?

Thanks a lot

• uhmmmmm

Where to start...

First off, this is the SSIS forum, and you may get some skewed advice.

My 5 cents (and please dont anyone shoot me), but this is my perception at least

OLTP (Online Transaction Processing) is a methodology. It is used for transactional systems, where you have users capturing into your environments. It has a relational look and feel to it (data is in its 3rd normal form). The data is stored on the RDBMS, and you will most probably have a layered architecture which will allow users to capture from a frontend (probably ASP.NET pages)

You also get OLAP (Online Analytical Processing) which is also a methodology. It is used for reporting systems, where user capture is not so rife, most probably limited to dimension maintenance. It has a dimensional look and feel to it (data is exploded on the dimensions and all facts either have measures or surrogate keys). The data is also stored on the RDBMS, and you will also have a layered architecture which will allow users to access data. Some prebuilt reports will be available and if your environment is really smart they will most probably have a report builder which will allow the users to build their own reports.

Reporting services works from OLAP, ROLAP, HOLAP, MOLAP and OLTP. It basically is a reporting engine which reads data from your RDBMS and displays this data to your users in various formats with some level of interactivity.

There is faaaaaar more that could be said, but this is the best way in which I can explain it.

Now to get shot by some purists...

~PD

• Thhhhhanks a lotttt

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply