Reporting Services does not start after running sp2 hotfix

• Baseline analyser on our Win 2003 / SQL 2005 box advised us to apply hofix sqlserver2005-kb954606-x86-enu_cf830314d086b53422827b3388eb70299e5cf2a2.exe

After succesfully applying the fix we find we can't now start reporting services - the error below is returned in config manager:

System.InvalidOperationException: Cannot start service ReportServer on computer 'XXX'. ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController.Start(String[] args)

at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController.Start()

at ReportServicesConfigUI.Panels.ServerInformationPanel.StartStopServiceTask(Boolean start)

Looks like a timeout error - but the credentials the service is running under are all ok (every other sql service runs fine under the same settings).

Anyone got any ideas?

• Eventually had to uninstall hotfix to get it back up again.

Found some details on

http://blogs.msdn.com/psssql/archive/2008/09/23/reporting-services-windows-service-will-not-start-after-applying-ms08-052.aspx

but didn't fancy a registry hack.

Moral of story: wait for the service packs

• I installed the patch today. It failed installed stating the service could not start in time. But I went ahead and changed the registry setting as per the previous post. Restarted the server and the reporting service was up.

The registry setting worked for me like a charm. 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply