Reporting Services error

• I have installed SQL Server 2005 Express and can create and view reports in preview mode but when I build and deploy the report on my local IIS (running on XP Pro) I get the following error:

• An error has occurred during report processing. (rsProcessingAborted)

• Cannot create a connection to data source 'ProfileMES'. (rsErrorOpeningConnection)

• An internal error occurred on the report server. See the error log for more details. (rsInternalError)

I have tried everything I can find in reportserver configuration with ID's and passwords but nothing works.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Looks like it is database connection configuration issue. Please check if you can find the required information at

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms156468.aspx

Thx

Prasad Bhogadi
    www.inforaise.com

• I have checked the connection settings and they are all valid. If I create a new datasource I can see it being added to the database in the DataSource table. However the ID in the .RDL file and the database are different.

Changing  the credentials to Prompt make no difference to the row in the Datasource table.

Is this a limitation of SQL Server 2005 Express that you can't actually deploy and use the reports?

Having installed SQL server 2000 Reporting Services for a client on a LAN/WAN with all sorts of gateways with success I am mystified!

Keith

• I believe you should install SQL Server 2005 Express Edition with Advanced Services to enable Reporting Services, I am not sure if you are already doing that.

Prasad Bhogadi
    www.inforaise.com

• Yes I have installed advanced services. I can create reports, preview them and deploy them but am unable to view them in Internet Explorer

Keith

• Well, as you must be aware there are several limitations with SQL Server 2005 Express as far the Reporting is concerned, however it should definitely work on your local instance. I am not sure what is going wrong with your configuration. But do take a look at

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms365166.aspx 

Thx

Prasad Bhogadi
    www.inforaise.com

• I found the problem!

It is indeed a limitation of Express edition. The database you are drawing the report data from must reside within the same SQL Server Express as the reportserver.

Presumably I would be able to use Express for creating and previewing then deploy to a different (production server) with SQL Server Standard or Enterprise on it.

I would think a better error message from Microsoft would be in order!

Keith

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply