Reporting Software for SQL, Oracle and MySQL

• Hi all.

Me and 1 other dba from our group have been charged with finding software that can be used to write our monthly server/instance/database reports. If you are wondering which things we typically look into

A. Server health (windows logs etc.)

B. Instance/Database health (database growth/monthly cache hit ratio/orphaned users/index stats/SQL logs/uptime/backup strategy etc.)

Usually, we do all this manually, which is time consuming as I'm sure this coomunity is aware. And we have hundreds of servers/instances which we cover. Soon this number will more than double. So we are looking for a way to save time.

We cover SQL Server (obviously) Oracle and MySQL.

What software (if any) do you guys use/recommend. We are looking for quality (not free). We have little experience in this area (reporting software).

Comments?

Thanks guys.

• As a reply to my own question (I continue to research this question) here is a good link for others to look at.

http://ask.sqlservercentral.com/questions/4117/what-is-the-best-reporting-software

I still await your suggestions though.

Thanks.

• I you are a package type of company instead of development, I'd suggest solarwinds.

Otherwise reporting services / excel.

I still think excel is the easiest way to report on anything. All those db's can generate csv. And you just dump that in excel and you are sorted.

There is also a good chance that you have already paid for it.

You can publish the sheet to the web, have built in datasources with auto refresh . very handy not to mention it's as easy as cake to design a report in it. In a company with little budget I'l use perfmon trace \ alerts + excel. It runs on snmp (most do) so perfmon is lightweight.

Cheers

Jannie

• I would look into any of the monitoring tools from the following companies:

Quest

BMC (Patrol)

CompuWare (ServerVantage)

CA

All of these companies provide monitoring tools for SQL Server, Oracle and the OS.

The tools include a lot more than just the reports you are looking for. They include monitoring and alerts also - as well as trending reports.

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Sounds like you are starting small and complex and growing to big and complex.

On top of the other reporting software packages that have been mentioned, I'd recommend Windward Reports. Windward works with SQL Server, Oracle and MySQL among others. It is not complex and does not involve several others packages to get you what you need. As a result, it saves time both in terms of installation and report generation.

I hope you find what you need,

Annette w/ Windward

(We have a lot of reporting software experience!:-)

• Thanks Annette.

I contacted Windward (in addition to others) and requested information.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply