Reprocess a cube and dimensions automatically

• Could someone tell me how to reprocess a cube and it's dimensions automatically?  I'm sure there is plenty of documentation on this, but I can't seem to find it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

apf

• The basic premise is to make a call to DSO (Decision Support Objects) in order to process your AS objects. If you don't know anything about DSO well then you've found something out today - I recommend you go away and research DSO. You can write a vbs script to process your cubes and schedule the vbs script to run using the Windows Scheduler.

DTS makes this easier my wrapping calls to DSO in a task called "Process OLAP Objects" (I think). This provides a point-and-click GUI for processing OLAP objects. You an then schedule your DTS package to run whenever you like.

Good luck.

• If you use Enterprise Manager, on the machine that OLAP (AS) is installed, you will see a DTS task called Analysis Services Processing Task. You can do what you want to do in a few clicks.

The trick is that this DTS task is only loaded on the server where Analysis Services is loaded. 

Andy.

• Had to edit this as I got my postings crossed.

You can use the task referred to above for processing the dimensions, but you will have to do so individually.  I use the following activeX script to do them all at once:

Function Main()

Dim oServer

Dim odb

Dim oDimension

Set oServer = CreateObject("DSO.Server")

oServer.Connect ("<<ServerName>>")

Set odb = oServer.MDStores.Item("<<CubeFamily Name")

For Each oDimension In odb.Dimensions

oDimension.Process(processRefreshData)

Next

Main = DTSTaskExecResult_Success

You may use another constant besides processRefreshData.  I've seen the other choices but don't remember them off the top of my head.

There is probably a way to do this for cubes, too, but as I only have two I do those as Analysis Services Processing tasks.

• Thanks, the DTS solution worked like a charm.

• Thanks for help folks!  I knew there must be some easy way to do it!

apf

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply