Require additional fields after creating Dataset for SSRS report.

• Please Help the newbie. Searching everywhere for a solution. Technet? (Contact too busy.)

Tried my first SSRS app with background SS DB without formal training. (Ever try to get consolidated docs from the MS Lib on line?)

I will even appreciate referral to training program(s) any have experienced.

In the Create mode, after connecting to the DB and adding all the tables to select from a schema tree with the respective required fields the report started to come together. Tried a Run with success.

Then required additional Table/Field data and was able to use the tree again. Did have some prob with a relationship for JOIN and outguessed the prob by adding code to the script. Quit for diversions. Came back in later.

Still required additional data, but no longer can get to selection from schema tree. Both Dataset Properties and Query build do not allow select. If I do the Add thing, I have to fill in Name and Source. It is Source I can not enter.

I look at the connection information which looks okay except it shows a URL internal to the SSRS app, not the external DB.

No documentation submitted, did not know what to provide. Will do so if requested.

Thanks to any and all for any consideration.

• Can you maybe attach a screen shot or two? I am not sure I understand what you are asking.

• I'll try since the condition is after the initial create which would show the tree.

Editted. Apparently my prob had to with the Data Source. In my initial post, I mentioned what appeared to be the correct DB as source had a URL indicating the DB was in the Report Server. I believe one has to understand "shared connection" versus "connection embedded" as data source. I'd rather ODBC.

When I document the correct process I will post. Thanks for your patience.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply