Resources for Access Front / SQL Server Back

• I'm trying to understand the process and set-ups for running our Databases with a familiar Access Front (Queries, Forms and Reports) linked to a SQL Server 2005 Express Back end - Tables. I would appreciate any information on resources in print that I can easily understand and have available.

What would be the best resource for what we are trying to do using Access 2007 and SQL Server 2005 Express. We may move to SQL Server 2005 soon? The better educated I am the better, as I am a one man show for the entire office.

Thanks Pete

• I'd start here: http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Articles/Access

Then there are some Access books I've seen that cover this. I don't have any off the top of my head, but I'd look through a few at the local bookstore and see if they cover this. Most likely there's similar information in many books, so I'd pick one up I liked.

• I ran something similar for 6 years. Mine was Access 2003 on SQL 2000/2005. One thing I definitely recommend is look into having the queries be in the database (in SQL) instead of in the Access app. That means using an Access Project, instead of an Access database. For me, it was MUCH better that way (faster, more stable, easier to maintain and develop, etc.).

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply