Responsibilities of L1-DBA

• Hello sir, i'm Raja..

I've opening on L1- DBA....

So I want to know about the " Responsibilities of L1-DBA "...

SO Can you tell me " What are the Responsibilities of L1-DBA...?

• "L1" is subjective depending on the shop so you'll need to go off the job description. Can you post the "skills required" or "qualifications" here? From there we can map them to actual DBA skills you may need to have.

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• It really does depend on the organization.

Probably, you'll be in the on-call rotation. You'll probably have a second-tier person to back you up in case you get stuck. You'll need to know how to restore a database. You'll have to have basic T-SQL functionality down. You'll have to be aware of monitoring and metrics, etc. If you were in my shop, I'd want to know what your learning plan was, stuff you were picking up, how you were practicing, etc. Entry level people are largely no good to me. I want functional partners who can help get the work done and keep the servers online. So our primary purpose would be to move you towards that.

My suggestion, find an introductory level book on SQL Server and read it cover to cover. Then, practice restores (not on production servers or anywhere near production servers). It's one of the most fundamental skills you'll need. Suggestion for the book, I wrote a few chapters in the Beginning SQL Server 2012 Administration book from Apress.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• ok... thanq

• eluriraja (12/6/2015)

Hello sir, i'm Raja..

I've opening on L1- DBA....

So I want to know about the " Responsibilities of L1-DBA "...

SO Can you tell me " What are the Responsibilities of L1-DBA...?

I can't say for sure but it would appear that "L1-DBA" refers to a Junior [font="Arial Black"]ORACLE [/font]DBA. Are you sure this is for an SQL Server person?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply