rESPONSIBILITIES OF sqlSERVER DBA!!!!!!

• Hi Gurus,

I am interested to know what are the responsibilities of SQLserver DBA.Is there any certification I should do.Basically I am a ETLdeveloper/Data modeler.

But my aim is to be a DBA.Can anyone kindly guide me in this aspect.

Thanks & Regards,

Sashi

• This will not directly help but, I am a software developer how has inherited a SQL Server. I found a book, Microsoft SQL Server 2000 DBA Survival Guide (M Spenik & O Sledge), to be very useful, I think there is a ‘version’ of this book for 2005.

On the certification front, Google for Microsoft Certified Database Administrator (MCDBA).

HTH

• MCDBA is not for SQL Server 2005. Look into MCTS: SQL Server 2005 to get a DBA certification for SQL Server 2005.

• In today's market it is very common for DBAs to wear two hats, an administrative hat and a programmers hat.  There are quite a few DBAs that do ETL with DTS or SSIS or design complex stored procedures for inclusion in production applications.

Those same DBAs may also be setting up replication, working on SQLMail, creating backups, designing recovery strategies, performing restores, managing user permissions, creating indexes, doing performance tuning, managing linked servers, capacity planning, or creating file management strategies.

I have found that "Mastering SQL Server 2005" was a good book to pick up some of the administrative stuff.  If MS has come out with an Administering SQL 2005 Training kit, that was a good source for initial training on SQL Server 7.0 and SQL Server 2000.

Keith Risman MCDBA

• Hi Gurus,

Thanks for your kind information.Your advice will be a stepping stone for my desire to be a DBA.

Thanks & Regards,

Sashi

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply