Restarting the sql server agent

• Hi all!

If i restart the sql server agent only (by right clicking and choosing restart) while jobs are running, will these jobs be rolled back or just continue to run?

Thank you

• The jobs will stop and, depending on how well they handle transactions, they will rollback completely or partially.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• thanks for the reply!

This is what i expected, was just going for a confirmation. 🙂

• Hi,

We know that restarting of SQL server agent is an simple tasks how ever I just want to share the below info....

Always try to gather the below information ,Before restarting of SQL server agent.

1)Make sure what are all the Jobs currently running or going to kick off shortly.

2)Make sure if any application jobs are critical -Identify what those are because the applications jobs may induce certain Critical DML activity (if it is present) against the databases ->how ever we all know that the transaction will follows ACID rule.

3)Go to services.msc->SQL server agent ->right click -->properties->Dependencies ->identify any other services depends on the SQL server agent.

4).Once the SQL server agent restarted ->verify SQL server agent logs,event logs,job status.

Best Regards,

Rama Udaya.K

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply