restore bacjup from diff location

• I ran the restoreheaderonly command and got this

Server: Msg 3201, Level 16, State 2, Line 1

Cannot open backup device 'd:\SQLServer\MSSQL\BACKUP\msdb_db_1_200502171829.bak'. Device error or device off-line. See the SQL Server error log for more details.

Server: Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

RESTORE HEADERONLY is terminating abnormally.

I was running simple as the recovery option when doing backups is that why they are incomplete? Do I need to restore diff beacuse of this?

• If you still have it as a dump device you'll need to drop it first before you can do the headeronly command.

When the sp_addumpdevice runs it locks onto the file and won't release it until you drop it.

----------------
    Jim P.

A little bit of this and a little byte of that can cause bloatware.

•  

I dropped the device and then ran the headeronly under master db and got the below info.......any thoughts on what could be wrong with the backup?

When i ran the headeronly restore on ther srever where I copied the backup from if gave me can't frinmd specified path...are all the backups corrupt

*** INCOMPLETE *** NULL NULL NULL NULL 1 NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL

• It looks like that backup is corrupt. I would suggest manually doing another one, and seeing if that one will work.

----------------
    Jim P.

• The conclusion to my problem was that I was doing simple recovery backups anbd and then trying to restore both the MDF and the LDF but with simple recovery ldf's are not present so when I restored just the mdf file it went successfully

Jim I appreciate all of the help along the way...this is the first time that I have used this board and it's great......LYNN~~

• You're welcome.

Have a great day!

----------------
    Jim P.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply