Restore database error - The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.)' while attempting 'OpenFile' on 'J:\Mssql2008R2\FTData\Product_FT\MssearchCatalogDir\0001000C.ci'.

• Using SQL 2008 R2 Enterprise. I've got a job that restores a database every night that fails on occasion. The restore starts fine, goes up to 100% but at the very end, fails with the following error.

The operating system returned the error '32(The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.)' while attempting 'OpenFile' on 'J:\Mssql2008R2\FTData\Product_FT\MssearchCatalogDir\0001000C.ci'. RESTORE DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

I have no idea what can be using this file. When I run the restore again, it is usually fine. I've turned off the FULL TEXT service and it still failed.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

STeven

• The file may be in middle of copy and hence u got this error.

if not, take help of windows admin guys who can find the handle to the process that is using that file using tools like process explorer and others.

Pradeep Singh

• You may use perfmon to find out which process is accessing that file. An example here[/url]

Pradeep Adiga
    Blog: sqldbadiaries.com
    Twitter: @pradeepadiga

• My guess would be your tape backup is happening at that time.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Yes i happned to encounter a similar tape backup and also sometime the AV locking the files.

• Adiga (9/20/2010)

You may use perfmon to find out which process is accessing that file. An example here[/url]

Good writeup. but i guess u did a typo by writing perfmon instead of process explorer:-P

Pradeep Singh

• Not backups, I checked that one, but Antivirus, maybe. I'll have to check that one.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

• I had restart mssql instance and server also and change that file also but getting solution

• Does your database use Full TEXT SEARCH?

• yes it is use full text search...

• @pradip, i am restoring backup on another serverr but still samee is comming.. can tell specific reason.

• Looks like you are trying to restore the same Full Text Search file, Change the File name in the restore options.

• i had tried with differnt file namebut it is not working

• This is an FTS issue, change the drive and folder that the FTS file for the database is going to. Try and put it on the same drive and folder as the MDF file. See if that works.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply