restore database from 2 mdf files

• hi all

i hav one database backup file which contain 2 mdf and 2 ldf file. now i want to restore it with 1 mdf & 1 ldf file, means i want to merge both mdf files into one. help me pls

thanx

nitin

• nitin jain (9/4/2009)

hi all

i hav one database backup file which contain 2 mdf and 2 ldf file. now i want to restore it with 1 mdf & 1 ldf file, means i want to merge both mdf files into one. help me pls

thanx

nitin

Are both files part of primary filegroup OR the 2nd mdf file is in a different filegroup?

Pradeep Singh

• thanx pradeep,

both mdf files having same primary filegroup

nitin

• nitin jain (9/4/2009)

thanx pradeep,

both mdf files having same primary filegroup

nitin

In this case you can use emplyfile parameter in dbcc shrinkfile

Use Mydb

dbcc shrinkfile(SecondaryFile, emptyfile)

--2nd file has been emptied, now remove that file from the database

Alter database mydb

remove file SecondaryFile

Refer : example D at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189493.aspx%5B/url%5D

Pradeep Singh

• SecondaryFile is the logical name of the 2nd file in the primary filegroup which you want to remove.

Pradeep Singh

• nitin jain (9/4/2009)

i hav one database backup file which contain 2 mdf and 2 ldf file. now i want to restore it with 1 mdf & 1 ldf file, means i want to merge both mdf files into one.

Can't be done as part of the restore. You'll have to restore first and then merge and drop the extra files. A restore puts the DB back into the state it was at the time of backup, same number of files, same distribution of data.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply