restore database from backup only, not having mdf and ldf files

• Hello, old db server died, only database backups are available. Mdf and Ldf files are gone.

Is there a way to restore these databases on new server from backup only? Data loss is not essential.

thank you for the help.

• Yes it is possible. This is one of the main reason why you take a back up. If your server dies and you have back up, you just have to restore the back up.

Check in Books On Line the command RESTORE DATABASE

-Roy

• Hi Roy, thank you for our reply. I know why I take the backup. My plan as I think it should be, is like this: on a new server do restore files only to get logical names of the files. Create a new database. Then do a restore from backup of my old database with move of logical file names to new location. want to try it when new server is available.

• L_avital (1/22/2010)

Hi Roy, thank you for our reply. I know why I take the backup. My plan as I think it should be, is like this: on a new server do restore files only to get logical names of the files. Create a new database. Then do a restore from backup of my old database with move of logical file names to new location. want to try it when new server is available.

That is a lot of extra work that is not necessary at all. When you restore a database from a backup it creates the mdf/ldf files that are needed for that database. Creating a new database, then using the move option just overwrites the existing files.

You can test this yourself by creating a new database, add multiple data files - then restore with the move option with a database that has a single mdf. The previous ndf files will no longer exist.

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply