Restore Database (loading)

• I used the Restore Database command which processed quickly. However, it is now stating in EM:

[DB name] (loading)

How long does this process normally take?

Adrian Porter

• You must have left it in an offline state unless it is extremely large. It is waiting for additional restores. Look at Restore database in SQL books online about this.

• It is a 33 GB database that I am restoring onto a Developmental server that has nothing else running on it. It's been going for about 3 hours on a Quad 550 Xeon box with 2 GB of RAM.

Adrian Porter

• Sorry I don't have a clue about delays with that size database but I would assume it would be up already as I have recovered on a 10 GB db in roughly 20-30 mintues with as dual 700 XEON on a RAID-5 array (keep in mind parity has to write when it is restored) and only a GB of ram. So i would check into waiting for more restores. Anyone who wants to add here as right now I have no server available to me to get the exact method, feel free.

• If its a development box the drive system may not be great. Take a look with perfmon to see what disk and cpu usage look like - if both are busy its probably still going, if flat...well, its not! Could you post a screen shot of EM with the message, don't recall seeing it and I have no large dbs at home.

Andy

• Hi

Did you refresh enterprise manager? 🙂

Cheers

Chris

Chris Kempster
    www.chriskempster.com
    Author of "SQL Server Backup, Recovery & Troubleshooting"
    Author of "SQL Server 2k for the Oracle DBA"

• Thanks everyone for your ideas and assistance. I left it overnight and it still stated that it was 'Loading'. Perfmon wasn't showing any activity on the CPU or disk so I stopped the process and ended up DTS the necessary tables over. It took awhile but ended up being successful.

Adrian Porter

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply