Restore / DTS query

• Is there any way in SQL Server 2000 to do a partial backup and/or restore (e.g. of selected tables)? I have made many changes to a DB's tables, views, sprocs in the past few months. I have a client's old backup from which I want to import selected tables/columns into the updated database (I can't run the changes as a script because I stupidly did not document them), so I restored the backup as another DB and then tried to import its data into the new DB but it does not work out well.

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards,

goodguy

Experience is a bad teacher whose exams precede its lessons

• there is no way to do a backup/restore of selected tables.

I think your approach of restoring it as another db and importing the data is correct.

did u face any problems while importing data ?

"Keep Trying"

• Yes, two tables which contained a binary (image) field failed to import and a couple of others for reasons I could not pinpoint. Also, I want the imported data to map onto my current schema, but they seem to be overwriting the data types. I use the "Copy Tables and Views from Source" option instead of "Use a Query to Specify Data to Transfer" for all except a few tables as the second option is very tedious for all-columns data transfer.

Regards,

goodguy

Experience is a bad teacher whose exams precede its lessons

• Hi

dont know about the image field. but the datatypes are the data types of the destination tables. So if thats not the data types you want then modify the destination tables.

Iam not very sure about his so, please look into this further/get others inputs before moving forward.

All the best...

"Keep Trying"

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply