Restore from Multiple Full Backups

• Hi,

We upgraded a client from SQL 2005 to SQL 2008 R2 after he upgraded his server hardware.

Problem is that we used the wrong FULL Backup on the new server.

So the client entered data in the mean time but we restored to an outdated version.

So basically we had a 3 day data gap.

I managed to salvage an old version of the DB ( shadow copy ) for the correct day.

But now the story has a twist.

The client discovers there is no data for those 3 days and installs the old server again.

So now we have an even bigger data gap.

I have 4 FULL backups of various sizes made on different dates.

How can I combine all this data into one database ?

• you cant combine full backups, what you could do is restore to 4 databases, then use some thing like Red-Gate's SQL Data Compare tool (other tools available) to see the data differences between the four backups and create a script to update the data once you restore again.

• Yep, I'd do what Anthony suggested. Data Compare isn't that expensive, and it will help you figure out what to move between the databases. It could be cheaper than manually trying to move things and mucking it up.

Note that I'd restore 5 databases. Pick the early one and restore it twice. Make one of those the "real" database and then use the other 4 copies to compare things and move the data into the space "early one". If it works, you can move again, or do a backup/restore to the "real" one.

Disclosure: I work for Red Gate.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply