Restore job skipping the logs on secondary server on SQL 2005!!

• i have a prod server from where i setup logshipping to 2 different servers. On one secondary server it is restoring the log files just fine but on the other server it keeps skipping the log files. the error message is shown below.

i have tried removing logshipping, removing trn files on secondary server and dropped the db on secondary server. then i took back up of db again on primary server and restored it on secondary server and then added this secondary server on the logshipping setup again. But the restore jobs shows success as status but keeps skipping the logs and says could not find the right log to restore. YEs, i did not remove the whole logshipping though as on the other secondary server the restores are running fine. copy jobs on both secondary server are running fine though as it copies the log files on both secondary servers. there is no monitor server used. i have tried keep the logshipping intact and took fresh back up and restored on secondary server too but still it does not work. the message is :

Step Name Log shipping restore log job step.

Duration 00:00:35

Sql Severity 0

Sql Message ID 0

Operator Emailed

Operator Net sent

Operator Paged

Retries Attempted 0

2009-02-06 19:00:36.21 Skipped log backup file. Secondary DB: 'Personalization', File: '\\CHEXSQCHNRT05\d$\NRT05\File1\tran\Personalization\Personalization_20090207025530.trn'

2009-02-06 19:00:36.22 Skipped log backup file. Secondary DB: 'Personalization', File: '\\CHEXSQCHNRT05\d$\NRT05\File1\tran\Personalization\Personalization_20090207030030.trn'

2009-02-06 19:00:36.24 Could not find a log backup file that could be applied to secondary database 'Personalization'.

2009-02-06 19:00:36.24 The restore operation was successful. Secondary Database: 'Personalization', Number of log backup files restored: 0

2009-02-06 19:00:36.24 Deleting old log backup files. Primary Database: 'Personalization'

2009-02-06 19:00:36.30 The restore operation was successful. Secondary ID: 'b6470874-1bb4-463d-ab9e-060a43393920'

2009-02-06 19:00:36.30 ----- END OF TRANSACTION LOG RESTORE -----

These are all on SQL 2005.

I would appreciate if some one can help me out quickly as i need to get it fixed ASAP.

thanks,

-jag

• Check the SQL error log on the secondary, see if there's any error messages.

Check the primary server, make sure no other log backup job exists (where the logs aren't been shipped), check that there are no jobs truncating the log.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Well there are no errors except that the db has threshold of 400 mins and it has not been restored for last 2000mins or so. There are no trim jobs for logs but there is a msdb trim job which of course has nothing to do with this problem.

Initially this problem was on the other secondary server. So i removed logshipping, took another backup, restored on both standby servers and then setup logshipping. It fixed the problem on that standby server which had the same problem but then it started showing this probem on the other standby server which was ok before.

Every server is on different cluster(polyserve cluster) also.

thanks,

-jagbir

• 2009-02-06 19:00:36.22 Skipped log backup file. Secondary DB: 'Personalization',

File: '\\CHEXSQCHNRT05\d$\NRT05\File1\tran\Personalization\Personalization_20090207030030.trn'

Not sure whether this is relevant, but I noticed that the Error message was generated on 2009-02-06 19:00:36.22 ,

but your trn file was like dated as 20090207030030. The time on the two servers are different? So the server will just ignore the 'future' logs?

• Well the date time everything is same on all 3 servers. Today i removed the logshipping and dropped the database on both standby servers. I took fresh backup from primary and restored on both secondary servers and setup logshipping. It is restoring the logs just fine on one secondary server but it is same on the other one and skipping logs. Of course the copy jobs on both secondary servers is running fine and copying the logs just fine.

hope some one can help me out here to get it fixed asap.

thanks

• Hi,

Did this ever get resolved?

I am having the same strange issue, I have tide everything and looked a 100 web posts, no luck.

• Please post entirey history of log shipping restore job for it's last run for the database that you are having issue.

• Just like the rest...

It turned out to be a job running a log backup which breaks the chain.

Job deleted, problem solved.

Cheers.

• I am also getting same issue. In fact I had checked everything that you had suggested but still its log are not restoring on secondary server.

Thanks in advanace.

• Please post new questions in a new thread. Thank you.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply