Restore Master Error

• I am rebuilding a SQL 7 server and am trying to move all the database backups from the old server to the new one.  My first step is restoring the Master DB on the new server.  I do this according to documentation by putting the server in single user mode (sqlservr -m) then opening enterprise manager and restoring the master db.  The problem is that once this process starts I get an error saying that communication has been lost and the restore stops.  I am then unable to get the server agent to start up again.  Has anyone ever run into this before?

• It's been a while but this might be expected behavior when you're restoring master.  According to BOL:

"After restoring master, the instance of SQL Server is stopped automatically. If you need to make further repairs and wish to prevent more than a single connection to the server, you should start the server in single user mode again. Otherwise, the server can be restarted normally. If you choose to restart the server in single-user mode, all SQL Server services (except SQL Server itself) and utilities, such as the SQL Server Agent, should be stopped because they may try to access the instance of SQL Server.

When master has been restored and any changes have been reapplied, back up master immediately."

Several years ago I had a similar case and I could install SQL Server on the new box but could not get my old master DB to restore properly.  Assuming that you still have access to your old box and the SQL Server 7 CD, what I would suggest is to leave the master that is created from a new install on the new server without restoring it.  Then copy over and restore your user DB's.  Finally, you'll need to script out your logins, user rights,  job schedules, etc.  - basically anything else that you need from the old system DB's.  You can do this several ways but easiest is probably to use the DTS export wizard and send all this to the new box.   Hope this helps. 

My hovercraft is full of eels.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply