Restore of 6.5 to SQL 2000

• I am trying to restore a 6.5 database backup to a 2000 server and am having all kinds of problems. I have made a back up of my db on 6.5 called mydb.bat

When I try to restore it from device on 2000 I get the following error saying the "the file c:\mydb.bat is not a valid Microsoft tape format backup. Restore database is terminating abnormally"

Where am I going wrong?

Thanks

• You cannot restore a SQL 6.5 backup to anything other than 6.5 as they made changes in the backup file structure. You have to restore to a 6.5 server the upgrade server.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• Hi Antares686,

Could you please elaborate what is an upgrade server? and how can I do this to an get it to be a an upgrade server?

Thanks

• Sorry it has been a while since we moved from 6.5 to 7, some of our databases were upgrade thru to 7 from 6.5 when installed 7 provides a utility to handle the upgrade. You have to do this in order for the data to be moved from 6.5 into 2000 (sorry I never did 6.5 to 2000 upgrade but I believe it is supported). Anyway other than that you could use the import wizard from a SQL 2000 server to copy objects from 6.5 but you cannot restore a backup set from 6.5 to anything later.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• When I tried to import from the 6.5 I get the following error."

"The catalog storeprocs are 6.5 and it needs to be 7.0. to support IDBschemarowset. Please run instcat.sql"

I have a few questions

1) By running instcat.sql will I be upgrading my 6.5 server? (If yes, what is the alternative to import wihtout upgrading the server because the customer has other 6.5 databases which are used by other applications. I want to upgrade only my db to 2000.)

2) Is there another way to import other than using DTS? If so, could you please let me know how to do that?

Thanks

• Sorry don't know anything about instcat.sql but don't think this is upgrading. As for what are your options. If you are programming for 6.5 you are better off sticking with 6.5 as there are too many issues to try to do it from 2000 (lot's you can do that will not work in 6.5). As for DTS you could script the 6.5 objects and try running these agaisn SQL 2000 (But I think you will find some things might not work). Then bcp out the data to a file and bcp back in to 2000. I still think you better keep a 6.5 server in order to be sure you are writting compatible code for the customer.

• Sorry don't know anything about instcat.sql but don't think this is upgrading. As for what are your options. If you are programming for 6.5 you are better off sticking with 6.5 as there are too many issues to try to do it from 2000 (lot's you can do that will not work in 6.5). As for DTS you could script the 6.5 objects and try running these agaisn SQL 2000 (But I think you will find some things might not work). Then bcp out the data to a file and bcp back in to 2000. I still think you better keep a 6.5 server in order to be sure you are writting compatible code for the customer.

• Thanks!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply