Restore Permissions

• I have a client that wishes to restore databases on sql, he owns the data so im ok with that. But what permissions should i give. Fot them to use the GUI they need sysadmin to allow them access to view files. it does restore using code with db_creator role. however the database they want to restore comes from a different server with different username/login, which means that when it is restore the user no longer has access to the database, How can i get it so he can gain accees to the restored database

thanks

• Andrew Collins (7/1/2009)

I have a client that wishes to restore databases on sql, he owns the data so im ok with that. But what permissions should i give. Fot them to use the GUI they need sysadmin to allow them access to view files. it does restore using code with db_creator role. however the database they want to restore comes from a different server with different username/login, which means that when it is restore the user no longer has access to the database, How can i get it so he can gain accees to the restored database

thanks

You can find out orphaned users by running

sp_change_users_login 'report'

This will give you a list of users for whom the login id is missing.

You can create those login IDs.

Or better, if the source database server exists, you can copy the logins to the new servers.

Pradeep Singh

• This may be irrelevant as i'm a novice in SQL.

But i assume you are using sql logins? are the servers set up for mixed mode authentication?

in my understanding this wouldn't occur (orphaned users) if you use a domain account on each server.

If you use sql logins, i suppose you could create users with the same SID on both SQL servers, and the databases security options would still apply?

feel free to tell me how wrong i am 😀

• when ever a database is restored on new server the users get transferred with the database and their security options. however they are orpahned from their logins because of different sid. instaed of dropping the user and recreating it one can fix the users the following way

Thsi will give orpahned users in current database

USE DATABASENAME.

EXEC sp_change_users_login 'Report'

This command if login already exists on new server

EXEC sp_change_users_login 'UPDATE_ONE','USERNAME','LOGINNAME'

This command if login does not exists on the new server

EXEC sp_change_users_login 'Auto_Fix', 'USERNAME', 'LOGINNAME', 'PASSWORD'

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply