restore tlogs with standby - reboot of services

• its been a while since my dba days now i'm a cisco bod... but can someone help.

we are restoring a large db - full, then diff then adding tlogs as they are taken each few hours to a 2nd server keeping the db in standby.

We have to inbetween some of the tlog restores, physically move the server to a different site and complete the next batch of tlog restores...

in my mind when you shut and reboot sql services - it will try to recover the database? is that the case? (sql 2005) or will if bring it back up in standby ready for you to apply x amount of tlogs to it?

help much appreciate - very urgent.. 🙂

Oraculum

• Do you want to copy T-log backups to secondary?

if yes check what is the last T-log backup restored with Standy in secondary and copy all the T-logs after restored in from primary to secondary and restore the last T-log backup with stand by in secondary..

• easy enough to test.

Take your closest test server, take a full + tail log backup (puts the db into norecovery, recycle the sql server) and see what happens.

Let us know because I ,for 1, am curious to know the output.

• I believe , after sql restarts it would not try to recover the database as it referes the db_status from sys databases.

Otherwise most of the secondary databases in logshipping , that are in standby mode would have faced this issue during routine reboot/restarts.

thanks and regards

Santhubt

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply