Restoring a database

• We had a disk crash on our server and had to rebuild the server (a fresh OS and SQL/AS install).

I had been using the msmdarch command to backup the olap databases on a nightly basis, but unfortunately, one of the databases was backed up incorrectly. Therefore, I do not have a msmdarch backup for this database.

I do have the original Analysis Services\Data directory and all the original datafiles. I tried creating an empty database and copying the original files to the new data directory, but AS does not recognize this.

How can I restore/recover this database using the original datafiles? Is it possible?

Thanks.

• Have you tried attaching the datafiles to the server?

Regards,

Andy Jones

• On your old server, had you migrated your repository from the msmdrep.mdb file to a SQL database. If so on a fresh install of AS, it will create a new msmdrep.mdb file which it will use regardless of whether you have restored your original SQL repository. Ensure your repository database is backed up and that you have taken a copy of the msmdrep.mdb. Then remigrate your repository, then restore your SQL repository backup over it. As long as your files are in the path specified when your right click your AS server and hit properties, i.e. something like C:\Program Files\Microsoft Analysis Services\Data, then AS should recognise those underlying files

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply