Restoring MSDB database in lower version. How to solve this error ?

• Hi,

When you restore msdb database from Standard edition to Personal edition in sql server 2000

In this situation you will get the following error.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Server: Msg 3168, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

The backup of the system database on device C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\My Notes\msdb26022008.bak cannot be restored because it was created by a different version of the server (134219767) than this server (134217922).

Server: Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

RESTORE DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to restore this msdb database is there any configuration settings require to be modified.for restoring the msdb database in the lower version.

Regards

shashi kant chauhan

• I do not think you can. But you can restore your msdb to a server with right version, and export data to your desktop.

• "Any database you create on a smaller edition will run on a larger edition. You can backup the database from the smaller edition and then restore it on the larger edition, or use the attach and detach procedure between them. "

"It's typically easier to go up in editions than down."

http://www.informit.com/guides/content.aspx?g=sqlserver&seqNum=7

• I don't believe this will work either. You might be able to script out jobs/alerts/etc. and re-run the scripts, but I doubt a restore will go since it will likely be considered a down level client.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply