Restoring the database

• Dear All,

I have a full database backup ( no diff's or trans logs) which I had restored on a test server through restore command using norecovery option instead of using the recovery option which had taken 4 hours as the database size is very huge. So is there any command which will give change the database from recovering to normal status.

Regards

Chandra Mohan N

[font="Verdana"]Thanks
    Chandra Mohan[/font]

• restore database databasename with recovery

Regards,

Andras

Andras Belokosztolszki, MCPD, PhD
    GoldenGate Software

• RESTORE DATABASE MyDB

WITH RECOVERY

John

• Dear Friends,

Thanks for replying. I think my question is a bit confusing to you. Let me clear it out first.

Ex: I have a 500 gb database which takes 4 to 5 hours for restoration.

Instead of using the command 2 i had used command 1 which will make the database as recovering and it wont allow you to access the db. The option left is droping the database and again restoring the database using the command2 which will waste 4 to hours of time. So my question is if I had accidentally used command1 for a database which has no other backups (diff or trans). Is there any command which will allow the user to access the database without again restoring the db which will waste 4 to 5 hours of time.

Command1: restore database mydb from disk='d:\mydb_full_21022008' with norecovery

Command2: restore database mydb from disk='d:\mydb_full_21022008' with recovery

Regards

Chandra Mohan N

[font="Verdana"]Thanks
    Chandra Mohan[/font]

• Dear Friends,

Thanks for replying. I think my question is a bit confusing to you. Let me clear it out first.

Ex: I have a 500 gb database which takes 4 to 5 hours for restoration.

Instead of using the command 2 i had used command 1 which will make the database as recovering and it wont allow you to access the db. The option left is droping the database and again restoring the database using the command2 which will waste 4 to hours of time. So my question is if I had accidentally used command1 for a database which has no other backups (diff or trans). Is there any command which will allow the user to access the database without again restoring the db which will waste 4 to 5 hours of time.

Command1: restore database mydb from disk='d:\mydb_full_21022008' with norecovery

Command2: restore database mydb from disk='d:\mydb_full_21022008' with recovery

Regards

Chandra Mohan N

[font="Verdana"]Thanks
    Chandra Mohan[/font]

• Yes, there is. Don't use your command 2, but use the exact command that Andras and I both posted above. That should work for you... in seconds.

John

• You have used command 1 and the database shows recovery use

alter database dbname with recovery to bring it online. you need not restore it again.

Cheers,
    Sugeshkumar Rajendran
    SQL Server MVP
    http://sugeshkr.blogspot.com

• Sugesh Kumar (2/27/2008)

alter database dbname with recovery to bring it online. you need not restore it again.

That won't work... try parsing it. The correct syntax is the one that Andras and I posted. Although it uses the RESTORE command, it doesn't actually restore the database again. It just brings it into a recovered state.

John

• Sugesh Kumar (2/27/2008)

alter database dbname with recovery

John I should have bolded this syntax so that to avoid confusion. I was meaning the same that you both were saying

Cheers,
    Sugeshkumar Rajendran
    SQL Server MVP
    http://sugeshkr.blogspot.com

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply