restoring to point in time for log shipped database

• I have a db that is using log shipping. I've been doing copy_only backups with the primary database, but I got to wondering, If data gets corrupted and I need to recover the primary to a point in time, is that possible? I can't do a without copy backup because that would disrupt log shipping CAn I restore log backups against the copy_only database?

Thx

• are you doing full backups at any point in your maintenance plan - log shipping does not prevent you from running full (non-copy only) backups - it just re-starts your log chain for DR purposes - I.E. when you come to do a point in time restore you start with the most recent full backup.

Log shipping should not be affected by a normal full backup

MVDBA

• you can restore log backups to a copy_only full backup, I just tried it. You should confirm it for yourself by trying it.

As Michael says, normal full backups do not affect the log backup chain, so switch your copy onlies to normal full backups.

copy_only is for use when you do differential backups and don't wish to change the base for the differential when doing ad-hoc full backups.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply