Restrict access on single database from admin user

• Eric M Russell (8/29/2016)

You'll need to create this database on another instance for which you are the only SYSADMIN. Also, you'll need to enable transparent database encryption (TDE) on this database to prevent the other DBA from copying the .mdf file and attaching it to another instance.

CREATE CERTIFICATE MySecretCertificate

WITH SUBJECT = 'Certificate to encrypt MySecretDB database key';

GO

BACKUP CERTIFICATE MySecretCertificate

TO FILE = '\\MySecretFolder\MySecretCertificate.certificate';

GO

USE MySecretDB;

CREATE DATABASE ENCRYPTION KEY

WITH ALGORITHM = AES_256

ENCRYPTION BY SERVER CERTIFICATE MySecretCertificate;

GO

ALTER DATABASE MySecretDB SET ENCRYPTION ON;

GO

Thanks a ton. I understand that the recommended answers have been along the lines of settling this via policy/deciding who is sysadmin in the first place, which I totally understand as the best practice. But your alternative is really creative and can be added as a tool just in case.

- webrunner

-------------------
    A SQL query walks into a bar and sees two tables. He walks up to them and asks, "Can I join you?"
    Ref.: http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2009/02/sql-joke.html

• webrunner (8/31/2016)

Eric M Russell (8/29/2016)

You'll need to create this database on another instance for which you are the only SYSADMIN. Also, you'll need to enable transparent database encryption (TDE) on this database to prevent the other DBA from copying the .mdf file and attaching it to another instance.

CREATE CERTIFICATE MySecretCertificate

WITH SUBJECT = 'Certificate to encrypt MySecretDB database key';

GO

BACKUP CERTIFICATE MySecretCertificate

TO FILE = '\\MySecretFolder\MySecretCertificate.certificate';

GO

USE MySecretDB;

CREATE DATABASE ENCRYPTION KEY

WITH ALGORITHM = AES_256

ENCRYPTION BY SERVER CERTIFICATE MySecretCertificate;

GO

ALTER DATABASE MySecretDB SET ENCRYPTION ON;

GO

Thanks a ton. I understand that the recommended answers have been along the lines of settling this via policy/deciding who is sysadmin in the first place, which I totally understand as the best practice. But your alternative is really creative and can be added as a tool just in case.

- webrunner

My assumption from reading the initial question is that there are multiple people in the role of database administrator, and there is one sensitive database that should not be accessible by all administrators. In that case you practically have to contain the database in a separate instance.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply