Retore to create a different DB

• I can create a new DB with a different name using a full backup from another database correct?

• Yup. You'll probably have to use the WITH MOVE syntax to create new files for the new DB.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I tried this way "with move", and it didn't like it:

RESTORE database vieval3x_testiis from disk='D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\BACKUP\testA\testA_db_2011.BAK'

WITH MOVE 'testA_TestIIS_Data' to 'D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\data\testA_TestIIS_Data.MDF',

MOVE 'testA_TestIIS_Log' to 'D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\data\testA_TestIIS_Log.LDF',

REPLACE

• Define 'didn't like it'

I can't read your mind, I can't see your screen and I can't run the command to see what's wrong as I don't have (or want) your backup file.

If you're restoring to a new DB, you don't need REPLACE. REPLACE is for when you want to overwrite an existing database.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• I applogize, it said:

Logical file 'testa_TestIIS_Data' is not part of database 'testa_testiis'. Use RESTORE FILELISTONLY to list the logical file names.

I did an sp_helpdb databasename, I can see that testa_testIIS_Data is the logical file.

• kd11 (1/19/2011)

Logical file 'testa_TestIIS_Data' is not part of database 'testa_testiis'. Use RESTORE FILELISTONLY to list the logical file names.

It didn't say use sp_help DB. Use RESTORE FILELISTONLY to list the file names in that backup. I suspect (but not sure) that you don't need the quotes around the logical file names

Gail Shaw

• There is light at the end-of the tunnel,

The database to be restored was named 'AABC'. Reissue the statement using the WITH REPLACE option to overwrite the 'vieval3x_testiis' database.

When I replace "with move" with "replace" it tells me that replace is not a recognized RESTORE option, (which is, in BOL) I'm on 2000- 8.00.2039.

• I've got it, thanks. Typing error.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply