retrive password for SQL login

• We have a SQL server 2005 server, and we have a SQL server login (instead of windows login) when installing a vendor product years ago.

But we forgot the password.

Is there a way to retrive a sql login password?

If I use generate logins, it will generate a random password.

if I use microsoft sproc sp_help_revlogin , it will generate a hashed password,

is that a correct password, or it still generate a random password?

Thanks

• Why can't you just change the password and update the app connection?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Better yet, why can't the app be changed to use a Windows Login so that you don't have to store the password in the clear text of the app?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• If the web.config is encrypted or, if it's a windows form app, it encrypts the details in a registry key then it should be fairly safe.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• The hashed password from sp_help_revlogin is valid - and can be used to create the login on another server with the same password.

If you are migrating to a new system, I definitely would recommend using sp_help_revlogin because it will create those SQL logins with the same SID and password. This will allow you to restore the databases on the new system without having to worry about synchronizing the users in each database with sp_change_users_login.

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Jeffrey

the user requires the clear text password for the SQL server account so sp_help_revlogin wont be helpful here

• Jeffrey Williams 3188 (6/3/2012)

The hashed password from sp_help_revlogin is valid - and can be used to create the login on another server with the same password.

If you are migrating to a new system, I definitely would recommend using sp_help_revlogin because it will create those SQL logins with the same SID and password. This will allow you to restore the databases on the new system without having to worry about synchronizing the users in each database with sp_change_users_login.

Thanks, I will give it a try, this certainly help as long as it creates the correct password as it was before, if I can get the password, then it is better.

There is a reason that the system support person when he installed this vendor product, he chose to use sql user instead of windows user, and there are some workstation invloved to setup like that, so for now, I cannot change to windows login.

The user is created by running a tool when install the software, there is no clear text for that password from using that tool. But we may also try to run that tool again to see if it creates a correct password. Thanks all.

• I think the easiest and most efficient way to reset SA password is to take use of Smartkey SQL Password Recovery, which is designed to reset lost or forgotten user and administrator password for MS SQL server. I have used it to reset SQL SA password successful on SQL 2005. The whole process of resetting SAL SA password can be easily divided into three steps:

1. Run the SQL 2005 Password Recovery program and then click "Open" to load the master .mdf file.

2. Select SA user name to reset the forgotten SA password, or select any other user name which you forgot the password. Click "Change Password" to reset password.

3. Enter the preferential password and click "OK".

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply