Reviewing a database's indexes

• Hi,

I am reviewing my databases indexes and would like to know if there is a way of finding out what indexes have never been used?

Also, is there such a thing as an Index Tuning Wizard similiar to what was in 2000 in 2005?

Thanks,

• 1) Assuming you have reporting services installed and are on SP2, Right click on the DB, Go to Reports | Standard Reports | Index Usage Stats

also query:

select

si.name,

db_name(ps.database_id),

ps.*

from

sys.dm_db_index_usage_stats ps

INNER JOIN

sys.indexes si

on

si.[object_id] = ps.[object_id]

and

si.index_id = ps.index_id

where

si.index_id > 0

--and user_seeks = 0

--and database_id not in (1,2, 4, 7, 8)

--optional tweaks

2) Database Engine Tuning Advisor

Edit:

Also check out sys.dm_db_missing_index_details for this

• Hi,

Reporting Services not installed.

The query returns lots or rows, (695). I assume these aren't all unused? Which of the columns do you suppose says categorically that the index is unused?

• definitely user seeks = 0, debatably user scans = 0

The best scenario is an index seek, second-best is a scan. So, if there are no seeks and no scans, the index isn't being used. If there are scans but not seeks, the index's usefulness is debatable.

Keep in mind that these are statistics gathered from the last restart of SQL Server.

If you don't have a compelling reason to not avoid installing reporting services, I'd highly recommend it. Once it's installed you can get the performance dashboard for much richer performance analysis.

• Hi,

Thanks for assitance.

Unfortunatley I am not responsible for what software is installed on the server, so Reporting Services is a no-go.

Incidently, can reporting services be run a clustered 64 bit server?

For future reference the query I ended up with is:

select

object_name(ps.object_id) AS TABLE_NAME,

si.name AS INDEX_NAME,

db_name(ps.database_id) AS DATABASE_NAME,

ps.*

from

sys.dm_db_index_usage_stats ps

INNER JOIN

sys.indexes si

on

si.[object_id] = ps.[object_id]

and

si.index_id = ps.index_id

where

si.index_id > 0

and user_seeks = 0

and user_scans = 0

--and database_id = 5

order by

object_name(ps.object_id),

si.name

• Although I've not worked with a clustered environment before, I don't see why not.

Also, if you have a development machine with access to the server, you can have reporting services on the dev machine and look at the reports for the server there. That's how I do it. Developer editions of SQL Server 2K5 are cheap. I got mine for $40.

• Pam Brisjar (11/1/2007)

If you don't have a compelling reason to not avoid installing reporting services, I'd highly recommend it. Once it's installed you can get the performance dashboard for much richer performance analysis.

Reporting services isn't required to use the performance dashboard. Reporting services is the app that handles management, security, the automatic running and delivery of reports, etc, etc.

The performance dashboard, and the other reports in management studio use the reporting services report format, but they run within management studio.

You do have to download th dashboard seperatly, as it is not included in SP2

See http://blogs.msdn.com/psssql/archive/2007/03/30/sql-server-2005-performance-dashboard-reports.aspx

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Back on the topic of unused indexes.

The index usage DMV t4racks only since SQL last started. If an indx has not been used at all (no seeks, no scans, no lookups, no updates) when it will not be mentioned in the DMV. Indexes are only entered into that DMV when they are used in some way

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • It's worse than that. Certain events, such as restoring a database or changing it to or from read-only status, will cause the counters for that database to be removed. If your database has auto-close set, then every time it "closes" the counters will also disappear.

John

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply