Revision Control Software

• Stefan Krzywicki (6/23/2011)

Jayanth_Kurup (6/23/2011)

Having used SVN , VSS , TFS and Redgate Source control , I would go with TFS or Redgate Source control since these are more coupled with SQL and also allows for additional activities such as automated deployment etc.

Does Redgate have its own source control or does it just integrate other source controls with SSMS?

It can integrate other source control tools. It's a good thing, since many shops already have a source control system in place.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• You wouldn't use Red Gate's SQL Source Control instead of TFS, it's a "with TFS". The RG product integrates almost any VCS with SSMS so you can check in/check out from within SSMS. Saves a step, makes it easy for you to move changes around or see what's changed.

It works with TFS, Subversion, Git, etc. anything with a command line. It's pretty slick in making it easy for people to use VCS. I have it on my laptop with SVN (and Tortoise) for playing around.

Disclosure: I work for Red Gate.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (6/23/2011)

You wouldn't use Red Gate's SQL Source Control instead of TFS, it's a "with TFS". The RG product integrates almost any VCS with SSMS so you can check in/check out from within SSMS. Saves a step, makes it easy for you to move changes around or see what's changed.

It works with TFS, Subversion, Git, etc. anything with a command line. It's pretty slick in making it easy for people to use VCS. I have it on my laptop with SVN (and Tortoise) for playing around.

Disclosure: I work for Red Gate.

I was hoping you or Grant would jump in here. : -)

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    --------------------------------------
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• For seemless integration of SQL Server with TFS or SVN, try also this one:

http://nobhillsoft.com/randolph.aspx

It periodically scans your SQL server in the background, detects any changes anyh person might have made, and pushes them into your version control system... and does some other nice things as well...

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply