Rewritng a delete statement

• The statement below was not written by me and it takes forever ( after 30 minutes, I killed it) to delete the specified rows from a table of nearly 3 million records, that is indexed BTW.

delete from s_report_special_flags where case_id in (select vwRptSubInactiveEvent.case_id

from vwRptSubInactiveEvent, s_case_id_list

where (vwRptSubInactiveEvent.Inactive_Closed_Date is null or

vwRptSubInactiveEvent.Inactive_Closed_Date < s_case_id_list.End_Date)

and  s_case_id_list.case_id = vwRptSubInactiveEvent.case_id

and s_case_id_list.case_person_id = vwRptSubInactiveEvent.case_person_id

and  s_report_special_flags.case_id = vwRptSubInactiveEvent.case_id

and s_report_special_flags.case_person_id = vwRptSubInactiveEvent.case_person_id

and s_case_id_list.report_id = s_report_special_flags.report_id

and s_case_id_list.report_id = @Report_ID)

and report_id = @Report_ID

I want to rewrite the statement to look like this:

delete from s_report_special_flags

from vwRptSubInactiveEvent, s_case_id_list

where (vwRptSubInactiveEvent.Inactive_Closed_Date is null or

vwRptSubInactiveEvent.Inactive_Closed_Date < s_case_id_list.End_Date)

and  s_case_id_list.case_id = vwRptSubInactiveEvent.case_id

and s_case_id_list.case_person_id = vwRptSubInactiveEvent.case_person_id

and  s_report_special_flags.case_id = vwRptSubInactiveEvent.case_id

and s_report_special_flags.case_person_id = vwRptSubInactiveEvent.case_person_id

and s_case_id_list.report_id = s_report_special_flags.report_id

and s_case_id_list.report_id = @Report_ID)

and s_report_special_flags.report_id = @Report_ID

When I ran this code in our test database it took a few minutes to delete the records I needed removed, but it worked. I thought I would just run it by a few eyeballs to get an opinion as to why I may not be able to change the T-SQL to my version.

Thanks,

Ross

• I had to re-write this so I could understand it a bit better.  I believe your change is superior and accomplishes the same thing.  Basically, you use a direct join where the original uses an implicitly generated table to join and I can only guess that is where you are bogging down...  I have no idea of the indexes on these tables....  

DELETE s_report_special_flags

WHERE case_id IN( SELECT vwRptSubInactiveEvent.case_id

FROM vwRptSubInactiveEvent

INNER JOIN s_case_id_list ON( s_case_id_list.case_id = vwRptSubInactiveEvent.case_id

AND s_case_id_list.case_person_id = vwRptSubInactiveEvent.case_person_id

AND s_report_special_flags.case_id = vwRptSubInactiveEvent.case_id

AND s_report_special_flags.case_person_id = vwRptSubInactiveEvent.case_person_id

AND s_case_id_list.report_id = s_report_special_flags.report_id

AND s_case_id_list.report_id = @Report_ID)

WHERE (vwRptSubInactiveEvent.Inactive_Closed_Date IS NULL

OR vwRptSubInactiveEvent.Inactive_Closed_Date < s_case_id_list.End_Date)

AND report_id = @Report_ID

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------DELETE s_report_special_flags

FROM vwRptSubInactiveEvent

INNER JOIN s_case_id_list ON( s_case_id_list.case_id = vwRptSubInactiveEvent.case_id

AND s_case_id_list.case_person_id = vwRptSubInactiveEvent.case_person_id

AND s_report_special_flags.case_id = vwRptSubInactiveEvent.case_id

AND s_report_special_flags.case_person_id = vwRptSubInactiveEvent.case_person_id

AND s_case_id_list.report_id = s_report_special_flags.report_id

AND s_case_id_list.report_id = @Report_ID)

WHERE( vwRptSubInactiveEvent.Inactive_Closed_Date IS NULL

AND s_report_special_flags.report_id = @Report_ID

I wasn't born stupid - I had to study.

• Farrell:

I did have to tweek your suggestion for better syntax and clarification just a bit and when I reran it in my test environment it worked even much faster than before. Here is my revison.

DELETE s_report_special_flags

FROM         dbo.vwRptSubInactiveEvent INNER JOIN

dbo.s_case_id_list ON dbo.vwRptSubInactiveEvent.case_id = dbo.s_case_id_list.case_id AND

dbo.vwRptSubInactiveEvent.case_person_id = dbo.s_case_id_list.case_person_id INNER JOIN

dbo.s_report_special_flags ON dbo.s_case_id_list.case_id = dbo.s_report_special_flags.case_id AND

(dbo.s_case_id_list.report_id = @Report_id)

WHERE ( vwRptSubInactiveEvent.Inactive_Closed_Date IS NULL

AND (dbo.s_report_special_flags.Report_id = @Report_Id)

Much Thanks for your input,

Ross

• Glad to help.  I did not know your tables, so I just had to wing what I saw. 

I wasn't born stupid - I had to study.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply