right order

• We would like to run a maintenance plan on a monthly basis in which we would like to:

rebuild indexes

reorganise indexes

update statistics

Can somebody please advice me about the right order to do this?

• check for relavant dbcc commants and add it to the scheduler

• If you are rebuilding all indexes then you don't need to reorganise them - you are just duplicating work.

If you rebuild a cluster index then its stats are automatically updated. If you rebuild a non-cluster index then you need to do a specific stats update.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• I have written weekly jobs with the following break down at the instance level:

Sunday 9:00 AM: Reorganize Indexes

Sunday 11:00 AM: Rebuild Statistics

Sunday 5:00 PM: DBCC CHECKDB

Daily 6:30 PM: Backup Database (for databases in Simple Recovery mode).

* Full Recovery mode databases are writing TRN logs every 15 minutes, with Full backups taken at 6:30 PM daily.

You will need to take care as to when each event takes place, as they may overlap while being executed, which is not desirable. I have written theses times up as our "standard", but based on the usage of the given application, the times can easily be changed.

Hope this helps.

"Key"
    MCITP: DBA, MCSE, MCTS: SQL 2005, OCP

• Thanks everybody. Please close topic.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply