rolling 1 year period - but for completed weeks only

• Hi

I need to put in my WHERE clause some script that identifies data that is within the last year. but the period needs to be only be for completed weeks.

I am working on the basis that sunday is last day of week.

For example todays date is the 5th July 2012 so the nearest completed week would be Sunday gone (1st july). So I only want the pervious 52 wks prior to the 1st July 2012. Come the start of next week I would only want to see the previous 52 weeks prior to 8th July.

Anyone have any ideas ???

The date format I'm working with is "2011-06-23 00:00:00.000"

Thanks

• More information please!! 😀

To get the previous Sunday, you could do something like this: -

DECLARE @date AS DATETIME = '2012-07-05 00:00:00.000';

SELECT DATEADD(WEEK, DATEDIFF(WEEK, '2012-01-08', @date), '2012-01-08'); -- Previous Sunday, returns the 1st July 2012

But I'm not clear on what date you want to actually get back (52 weeks previous of 1st July 2012 when 5th July 2012 is supplied).

Do you want 1st July 2011? 3rd July 2011?

For 3rd July 2011: -

SELECT DATEADD(WEEK, -52, DATEADD(WEEK, DATEDIFF(WEEK, '2012-01-08', @date), '2012-01-08'));

For 1st July 2011: -

SELECT DATEADD(YEAR, -1, DATEADD(WEEK, DATEDIFF(WEEK, '2012-01-08', @date), '2012-01-08'));

Forever trying to learn
    My blog - http://www.cadavre.co.uk/
    For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/
    For better, quicker answers on SQL Server performance related questions, click on the following...http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

• --Try something like this.

declare @dt datetime

set @dt = '20120705'

declare @dt datetime

set @dt = '20120705'

select dateadd(wk,-52,case when @@datefirst = 7 then

case

when datepart(dw,@dt) = 1 then @dt --it is alredy sunday so no need to find prev sunday

else dateadd(dd,-datepart(dw,@dt)+ 1,@dt)

end

when @@datefirst = 1 then

case

when datepart(dw,@dt) = 7 then @dt --it is alredy sunday so no need to find prev sunday

else dateadd(dd,-datepart(dw,@dt),@dt)

end

end)

It worked in Sybase and I am sure it should work on SQL Server as well. I will post the sql one once I will get access to sql server machine but something on similar line should work..

GulliMeel

Finding top n Worst Performing queries[/url]
    Improve the performance of Merge Join(special case)
    How to Post Performance Problem -Gail Shaw[/url]

• Thanks for replies.

i will always want to select previous 52 prior to the previous sunday in the current week.

thanks

• How about:

select @dt [date as is]

, dateadd(yy, -1,@dt) [date-1Y]

, dateadd(wk, datediff(wk, 0, dateadd(yy, -1,@dt)), 0) [date - 1 year then Beginning of week]

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• Here's some code I wrote to get the first and last day of the previous 12 months. You can modify it for your uses to get week ending dates.

;WITH

t1 AS (SELECT 1 N UNION ALL SELECT 1 N),

t2 AS (SELECT 1 N FROM t1 x CROSS JOIN t1 y),

t3 AS (SELECT 1 N FROM t2 x CROSS JOIN t2 y),

Tally AS (SELECT ROW_NUMBER() OVER (ORDER BY (SELECT NULL)) N

FROM t3 x

CROSS JOIN t3),

MonthDates AS (SELECT DATEADD(mm, -(N - 1), CAST(CAST(DATEADD(dd,-(DAY(DATEADD(mm, 1, GETDATE()))- 1),DATEADD(mm, 0, GETDATE())) AS DATE) AS DATETIME)) AS PeriodStart,

DATEADD(mm, -(N - 1), DATEADD(ss, -1, CAST(CAST(DATEADD(dd, -DAY(DATEADD(m, 1, GETDATE())) + 1, DATEADD(m, 1, GETDATE())) AS DATE) AS DATETIME))) PeriodEnd

FROM Tally

WHERE N BETWEEN 2 AND 13),

Months AS (SELECT CAST(YEAR(PeriodEnd) AS NVARCHAR(4)) + RIGHT('0' + CAST(MONTH(PeriodEnd) AS NVARCHAR(2)), 2) AS YYYYMM

FROM MonthDates)

select *

from monthdates

• This will get you the date for last sunday:-

SELECT DATEADD(wk, DATEDIFF(wk, 6, GETDATE()), 6)

This will get you last sunday - 52 weeks

SELECT DATEADD(wk, -52, DATEADD(wk, DATEDIFF(wk, 6, GETDATE()), 6))

so this will be your where clause:-

WHERE MyDateValue BETWEEN DATEADD(wk, -52, DATEADD(wk, DATEDIFF(wk, 6, GETDATE()), 6)) AND DATEADD(wk, DATEDIFF(wk, 6, GETDATE()), 6)

• I suggest avoiding "WEEK" or anything that could or does rely on SQL settings such as @@DATEFIRST (I don't think WEEK actually does, but I think it does always use Sunday, so if your anchor day were to change, the code would no longer work).

The code below will always give you the last Sunday, regardless of any SQL setting (*prior* to the current date, that is, if today is Sunday, you get the prior Sunday's date (if you want to return the current day if it's Sunday, just remove the DATEADD(DAY, -1)).

SELECT

DATEADD(DAY, DATEDIFF(DAY, '19000107', DATEADD(DAY, -1, GETDATE())) / 7 * 7, '19000107')

So, to get 52-weeks worth of data for the query, you can do this [naturally adjust the (52 * 7), if you need to, to get the exact relative starting date you want]:

WHERE

table_date_column >= DATEADD(DAY, DATEDIFF(DAY, '19000107', DATEADD(DAY, -1, GETDATE())) / 7 * 7 - (52 * 7), '19000107')

AND

table_date_column < DATEADD(DAY, DATEDIFF(DAY, '19000107', DATEADD(DAY, -1, GETDATE())) / 7 * 7 + 1, '19000107')

[Note that the code above can be adjusted for any day -- for example, changing '19000107' to '1900103' would always give you the first Wednesday before the current date.]

SQL DBA,SQL Server MVP(07, 08, 09) "Money can't buy you happiness." Maybe so, but it can make your unhappiness a LOT more comfortable!

• many thanks for all your helpfull suggestions.

P.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply