Iref _ no    Firstname   Middlename   Salary

1              Rajesh       Kumar           5000

2              John           ranzo          7000

The output should be as follows:

1            2

Rajesh    John

Kumar    Aranzo

5000      7000

What would be the the effiecient way of converting rows into columns when the no of columns in Table A is fixed.

• I view a couple of different sites each morning. Your question looked similar to this one. I didn't look very closly but maybe it is worh checking out:

http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1131480&page=1

• I do this all the time, however as a programmer I link the tables to M$ Access 97/2000 and write a procedure to perform the conversion. - Far better than spending days working out how to do it in a declaratrive language(ie SQL).

But you should be able to perform this in T-sql the only real problem is referring to the columns.

To get you started use the following SQL to get the columns names.

SELECT     TOP 100 PERCENT CONVERT(sysname, DB_NAME()) AS TABLE_QUALIFIER, CONVERT(sysname, USER_NAME(o.uid)) AS TABLE_OWNER,

CONVERT(sysname, o.name) AS TABLE_NAME, CONVERT(sysname, c.name) AS COLUMN_NAME, CONVERT(int,

(SELECT     COUNT(*)

FROM          syscolumns sc

WHERE      sc.id = c.id AND sc.number = c.number AND sc.colid <= c.colid)) AS ORDINAL_POSITION

FROM         dbo.sysobjects o INNER JOIN

dbo.syscolumns c ON o.id = c.id INNER JOIN

master.dbo.spt_datatype_info d INNER JOIN

dbo.systypes t ON d.ss_dtype = t.xtype ON c.length = ISNULL(d.fixlen, c.length) AND ISNULL(COLUMNPROPERTY(c.id, c.name, 'IsIdentity'), 0)

= ISNULL(d.AUTO_INCREMENT, 0) AND c.xusertype = t.xusertype LEFT OUTER JOIN

dbo.syscomments m ON c.cdefault = m.id AND m.colid = 1

ORDER BY CONVERT(sysname, USER_NAME(o.uid)), CONVERT(sysname, o.name)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply