RS 2005 V RS 2008

• I'm sure some one out there will know the answer to this one, can RS2005 use a SQL 2008 database as it's datasource?

Thanks in advance

Stuart

-------------------------------Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden [/url]Smart way to ask a question
    There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand (the world). There is no such thing as a dumb question. ― Carl Sagan
    I would never join a club that would allow me as a member - Groucho Marx

• Just think I've answered my own question - as far as I can see the answer is NO

-------------------------------Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden [/url]Smart way to ask a question
    There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand (the world). There is no such thing as a dumb question. ― Carl Sagan

• Do you mean you can't use a 2008 server to store the reportserver database or you are unable to query a 2008 database to bring back data to populate your report?

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Sorry - I was in a bit of a rush to post the question.

We have migrated an application's back end database from SQL 2005 to SQL 2008 and need to run reports from the new (2008) database. These are currently written with Reporting Services 2005

From what I can gather and with some testing myself, I don't believe that is simply a case of pointing the reports to the new server and database. It would appear that I will have to re-create the reports with RS 2008 (or open with 2008 and save a copy for use with the new database).

Unless any one knows any different that is.

• What errors are you receiving? I'd suggest trying to recreate the datasource rather than just altering the current one. Perhaps you need a new/different driver installed on both your development system and/or the reporting server. Are you bumping up against 32/64 bit differences? According to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms159219%28v=SQL.90%29.aspx The SQL Server datasource which is part of the Built-in Reporting Services data processing extension is only listed for v7-2005 however at the bottom, the Generic OLE DB and Generic ODBC datasources support any data source that supports OLE DB and ODBC respectively. AFAIK, SQL Server 2008 can be used as an OLE or ODBC datasource.

Additionally directly after the table of supported data sources it lists, "Many standard .NET Framework data providers are available from third parties. For more information, search the third-party Web sites or forums." I'm wondering if that includes the most recent driver version? Perhaps you just need to install the 2008 native client?

Obviously any of the suggested changes should be done on a test environment prior to production, but you already knew that.

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• You can point SSRS reports from within VS 2005 to 2008 db's. You can also create reports that use a 2008 db from within VS 2005. You can also deploy reports from VS 2005 to 2008 report server. These deployed reports are automatically upgraded to 2008. Once they are deployed, however, you can no longer use them (if you decided to download one or more from the server) in VS 2005.

• Thanks for the suggestions - lots of food for thought.

The essence of the problem is that I can't see any databases on the server when trying to create the datasource.

I think the 32 / 64 bit might be a good place to start - then I'll work through the rest of the list.

Many thanks again

Stuart

• Stuart Davies (9/15/2010)

Thanks for the suggestions - lots of food for thought.

The essence of the problem is that I can't see any databases on the server when trying to create the datasource.

I think the 32 / 64 bit might be a good place to start - then I'll work through the rest of the list.

Many thanks again

Stuart

You may be right about not being able to see them to select, but you can actually (manually) type them in and they will work.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply