RS issue with Analysis Services Data Source. Data Sets

• Hi,

I have created a few working data sets against the Data Warehouse Analysis Services Cube data I have then made reports from my machine.

I then go across to another machine and log on to do some training.

The reports work fine.

We then go to the data tab to look at the data set.

The parameters are gone and so is all the columns I have dragged to the query pane.

Going back to the report - it doesnt work any more.

I go back to my system and open up the project and everything is back to normal.

Has anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Debbie

• Hey Debbie,

It's not clear so i'll ask - with the project that's full of reports on *your system*, have you published to a central Reporting Services server?

It almost sounds like this is what you're doing :

- work locally (maybe publish reports locally), develop away, save, publish etc

- get up, walk to colleagues machine, open project *on their system* and open report, none of my changes are there....

If you're not publishing to a central server and then they don't bring the rdl down from that server, then you're working on different copies of items (you on yours, them on theirs).

An alternate to them downloading is you sending them the rdl (or entire project) or you both working in a source control system and you work, save, upload to source control and they download from source control (this should now see your latest version on their machine).

Note, a central server could be SSRS on your machine, but the second system needs to get the rdl from the same location you are either i) saving to or ii) publishing to.

HTH,

Steve.

• stevefromOZ (6/26/2009)

Hey Debbie,

It's not clear so i'll ask - with the project that's full of reports on *your system*, have you published to a central Reporting Services server?

It almost sounds like this is what you're doing :

- work locally (maybe publish reports locally), develop away, save, publish etc

- get up, walk to colleagues machine, open project *on their system* and open report, none of my changes are there....

If you're not publishing to a central server and then they don't bring the rdl down from that server, then you're working on different copies of items (you on yours, them on theirs).

An alternate to them downloading is you sending them the rdl (or entire project) or you both working in a source control system and you work, save, upload to source control and they download from source control (this should now see your latest version on their machine).

Note, a central server could be SSRS on your machine, but the second system needs to get the rdl from the same location you are either i) saving to or ii) publishing to.

HTH,

Im saving everything to a central server that we both have access too. In the folder is the rdl file etc.

So Im sat at my own computer and log in and can access everything OK. When we sit and log in on another computer and open up the project from the same folder on the server the datasets have not saved.

• Hi

This is what I could understand.

You developed some reports in your machine and created a dataset in data tab with some parameters. And its working fine.

Now logged on to different machine and opened the same reports from that machine. (Now I assume that the reports are locally getting connected to this new machine). Now when you go to data tab. Every thing is becoming empty.

The reason could be, data content in both cubes are different. What I mean to say, is may be you dont have any data in this machine for the parameters you have selected and set as default in your report.

• Hi again,

Both computers are connecting to the same server where all the details are stored. Nothing is stored locally on any machine.

Debbie

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply