Runaway Rollback

• I've got the rollback from Hades running on my server causing havoc. It started by my attempting to add a unique constraint on a table with around 15 million rows. I started it last night around 6 p.m., when I arrived this morning, it was still running. There were jobs backing up being blocked by this process, so I killed it.

Now the rollback is still running (I'm hoping, CPU time is increasing for the rollback thread, so I assume it's running).

My question is, if I stop the SQL Server, will the rollback pick up from where it currently is, or will it re-start all over again?

• Before you restart SQL Server, user command kill with statusonly to generate a progress report on a given spid that is being rolled back to see how far the rolled back is progress.

Edited by - Allen_Cui on 10/09/2002 2:15:33 PM

• I just did a progress, and this rollback is not doing anything! The status hasn't changed. Is it safe to assume that it's "stuck?" The only place I see progess is using a variation of sp_who, which lists CPU time.

• can you run select * from sysprocesses to see what are the status, waittype and lastwaittype of this spid?

• Yes -

status - runnable

waittype - 0x0000

lastwaittype - WRITELOG

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply