Running BTrieve and SQL Server on the same box

• Greetings all,

Okay...I know it's a bad idea. And I know that you know that it's a bad idea, but a manager here wants to do it anyway and 'can't afford to buy another server'. Aside from the obvious things like processor/disk/memory contention, can anyone provide me with some more ammunition to shoot this idea down? Thanks

Regards,

Sandman

My hovercraft is full of eels.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Not much you can do other than try it and see what happens. A lot depends on how heavily loaded the box is now and whether any of that load gets transferred to Btrieve. I hope you'll post after trying it to let us know the results.

Sorry!

Andy

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

• Thanks a lot Andy. I was asking for another Sys Admin here who supports this manager. I would say at the least he's probably in for more than a few support headaches. We quoted the manager a server that wound up being less than $4000 US and she still says there's no money in the budget (sigh).

I acutally did see a post where someone had Oracle and SQL Server running on the same box so I guess nearly anything's possible if you are careful and persistent. If the manager does go ahead with it, I'll update you all on what we find and experience. It's bound to be interesting. Thanks again...

Regards,

Sandman

My hovercraft is full of eels.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply