Running SQL Server 2008 on a Netbook...

• Pricing is where I am coming from. In pricing the two, I have noticed the price gap close to about $100. For that $100 I can get 4GB Ram and a 500GB hard drive. Oh and the weight of the laptop is getting lighter as well.

Laptop $500

Netbook $400

Tough choice.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• CirquedeSQLeil (12/18/2009)

Pricing is where I am coming from. In pricing the two, I have noticed the price gap close to about $100. For that $100 I can get 4GB Ram and a 500GB hard drive. Oh and the weight of the laptop is getting lighter as well.

Laptop $500

Netbook $400

Tough choice.

I guess it also depends on what you are planning on doing with it as well. If it isn't anything heavy duty, light reseach, writing, remote connection to a more powerful server, it may be okay.

• Lynn Pettis (12/18/2009)

CirquedeSQLeil (12/18/2009)

Pricing is where I am coming from. In pricing the two, I have noticed the price gap close to about $100. For that $100 I can get 4GB Ram and a 500GB hard drive. Oh and the weight of the laptop is getting lighter as well.

Laptop $500

Netbook $400

Tough choice.

I guess it also depends on what you are planning on doing with it as well. If it isn't anything heavy duty, light reseach, writing, remote connection to a more powerful server, it may be okay.

Exactly, with my netbook, I can connect it to a monitor in an internet cafe, VPN to work, and voila.

Gaby

• I paid $300 for my netbook, and just got my son a laptop for $429 that's miles further. A laptop is a better deal most of the time for presenting. At the time I got mine, I didn't have a laptop handy that was less than $600 and so the netbook was nice. I do like the netbook when I'm moving around as it's small, but the keyboard still works. for me. I can carry it in one hand and it doesn't bother me, whereas most 14"-15" laptops a more of a burden.

• Heh... I just bought an HP "GS" series with a 17.1" screen and a full size keyboard that has a real live separate numeric keybad. Netbook would kill me eye-sight wise.

Oh... the new laptop is big enough so that I can install a mini-pork-chop launcher that uses the built in camera to locate, track, and take out hecklers in conference audiances. 😛

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• I paid $599 for my Dell Insprion 1440 which has a 14.1" screen T4200 processor (x64), 4GB RAM but supports 8GB, and then I paid $300 for a 120GB OCZ Summit SSD drive. I get 4.5-6 hrs of battery life from it and it is small enough to work on most planes. I run VMware Workstation 6 and a bunch of VM's on it and performance is phenominal.

Jonathan Kehayias | Principal Consultant | MCM: SQL Server 2008
    My Blog | Twitter | MVP Profile
    Training | Consulting | Become a SQLskills Insider
    Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for Accidental DBAs[/url]

• Great thread. I came to look for an answer to just this question and I appreciate all of the insights everyone provided. I can really stand to have a platform for testing stored procedures on a very portable machine as I can carve quite a bit of more productive time out of my life if I can. Plus, the netbook is the ideal machine for airline travel.

Has anyone tried running SQL 2008 Dev AND Visual Studio doing ASP.NET development simultaneously on a netbook with 2GB of RAM?

[Edit:] I posted the above after seeing the branch of the thread re desirability of a netbook vs. a laptop. I wanted to add another thought in addition to the airline convenience. The netbook is small and very light (duhhhh) and I plan on using my soon-to-be-acquired one to play Internet poker on the couch while my wife watches Dancing With The Stars. I can feign spousal interest while doing something I want to do plus can actually do real work on the go. I am a university professor most of the time and have LOTS of opportunities to do grading, course development, etc., in little chunks of time in widely scattered locations. Even though I have a relatively small laptop it still eats through battery life like crazy so the netbook battery life is also a big draw for me. I do enough consulting that I can deduct computers on my Schedule C so I'm basically paying 2/3 the price.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply