sa Account is failing

• Someone besides me created the SQL 2008 configuration. Apparently there is an sa account, but the password that was supposedly applied doesn't appear to work.

Logging in as sa generates the following error:

A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the login process. (provider: Shared Memory Provider, error: 0 - No process is on the other end of the pipe.) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 233)

Logging in as a Windows Authenticated user is successful.

Am I right that this is a password problem? If so, can I safely delete the sa account and re-build it. Or does that error imply that I am going down the wrong path?

• Are you connecting remotely?

I looked on MS and they imply that the SA account is not allowed to connect remotely.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb326280.aspx

Joel

• Two things:

1. I am connecting remotely in the sense that I am in a remote session on the SQL server. So that that really means - No, I am local.

2. I can login as sa on other SQL servers - even from the Management Studio on my desktop.

• Are there any errors reported in the logs?

If the protocols are misconfigured then you might get some errors reported if you stop and restart the sql instance.

It's quite strange as I assume you are connecting locally as it's trying to use shared memory.

a couple of things to check just in case, the server is configured for mixed (sqlserver + windows) authentications, and you have no logon triggers setup.

David

• You got it right! The server was configured for Windows Authentication only. Changing it to "mixed mode" solved the problem.

Thanx much!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply