SAN best practices

• Spot-on Mario!

Oh, and for this one "It's as if people naively think the tool itself will solve all their problems with no tuning necessary. I've witnessed this all too often and still can't believe it!", I see that being even MORE applicable to SQL Server itself!! Every single client I go to does the same dumb things (or doesn't do the right things) because they don't think they need to do anything. No or little maintenance, configuration, tuning or monitoring. Just install and go man!

As I have said many times I am truly thankful for this attitude since I make a living off of it. 😎

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• TheSQLGuru (5/15/2008)

Spot-on Mario!

Oh, and for this one "It's as if people naively think the tool itself will solve all their problems with no tuning necessary. I've witnessed this all too often and still can't believe it!", I see that being even MORE applicable to SQL Server itself!! Every single client I go to does the same dumb things (or doesn't do the right things) because they don't think they need to do anything. No or little maintenance, configuration, tuning or monitoring. Just install and go man!

As I have said many times I am truly thankful for this attitude since I make a living off of it. 😎

Totally agreed. It just amazes me that the server folks will put me through hell if there isn't a "3-year response on site within 4 hours" support contract on a 20K server, along with AV, defrag tools, etc..., but these same folks see NO need to have a "decent" support relationship with the vendor on a multi-million dollar SAN setup (hardware is broken = YES; hardware is now performing well = NO), and no need whatsoever to have either the tools to leverage important aspects (SNAPView? what is that?) , or monitoring/reporting tools (SANAlyzer? Naah - it's too expensive (25K)).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• TheSQLGuru (5/15/2008)

Spot-on Mario!

Good for you! 🙂

Consider writing a book on this or developing your own software for sale at a lower price to the native SAN monitoring software. Market it right and you will make a killing! :w00t:

__________________________________________________________________________________
    SQL Server 2016 Columnstore Index Enhancements - System Views for Disk-Based Tables[/url]
    Persisting SQL Server Index-Usage Statistics with MERGE[/url]
    Turbocharge Your Database Maintenance With Service Broker: Part 2[/url]

• Just got notice on this interesting link:

Tips for moving from SQL Server local disk storage to SANs:

http://searchsqlserver.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid87_gci1313715,00.html?track=NL-421&ad=639679&asrc=EM_NLT_3656686&uid=6474375#

__________________________________________________________________________________
    SQL Server 2016 Columnstore Index Enhancements - System Views for Disk-Based Tables[/url]
    Persisting SQL Server Index-Usage Statistics with MERGE[/url]
    Turbocharge Your Database Maintenance With Service Broker: Part 2[/url]

• actually using a san for storage is fine - set up correctly you can at least eliminate single point of failure routes to your data and management is good. FC storage can be used as DAS too, just connect your fc HBA's direct to your FC storage. It's the sales people, vendors and managers who tend to mess it all up as they usually make the decisions without the end users or technical people.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

• Setup profiler to page, call, email, and throw rocks at the hardware team everytime a query takes longer than a certain time to execute... you sleep. 😛

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (5/20/2008)

Setup profiler to page, call, email, and throw rocks at the hardware team everytime a query takes longer than a certain time to execute... you sleep. 😛

OH you've had to write an "attitude adjustment paging tool for hardware folks", too!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Heh... guess that's what they call it now... we used to call it a "software training aid". 😀 The bat I kept at my desk was the "hardware training aid". Think "Office Space".... :hehe:

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (5/20/2008)

Setup profiler to page, call, email, and throw rocks at the hardware team everytime a query takes longer than a certain time to execute... you sleep. 😛

Unfortunatly that's what we're going to have to do. Battle lost.

I need to ensure I have a faulty telephone, so that the dealers don't phone me up and yell every afternoon around 4.

I'd rant, but I'm just too damn tired. We're supposed to all be working together to support the business needs, not fighting between ourselves.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Jeff Moden (5/20/2008)

The bat I kept at my desk was the "hardware training aid".

I have one of them too, though it's a calendar mailing tube. A couple of my developers are well aquainted with it. 😀 :hehe:

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (5/21/2008)

...I need to ensure I have a faulty telephone, so that the dealers don't phone me up and yell every afternoon around 4. ...

Shall I send you my old one ?

only phone and sms works, no agenda, no bluetooth, no usb cable,...

and the battery only last for 4 hours.... 😀

Sorry to hear you'll have to teach them the hard way.:ermm:

Be prepared to have them sit on their blisters ...

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• GilaMonster (5/21/2008)

I'd rant, but I'm just too damn tired. We're supposed to all be working together to support the business needs, not fighting between ourselves.

As a consultant, I am continually amazed at the clients I visit who to the latter at the expense of the former. Damn shame ... people with small minds getting in the way of doing what is best.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• You can create a vitual group on the SAN which will be assigned by a certain number of known volume which will be used for your data file. Do the same thing for you log file. This way, you will not have contention on your database.

I know i set up my env. this way.

Viewing 13 posts - 46 through 57 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply