Saving Time Through Automation

• Ed Wagner (3/7/2016)

Gary Varga (3/7/2016)

seebert42 (3/7/2016)

You've never run out of work?...

Never. Only budget.

Agreed. Never. There's always something to automate or improve.

I agree with both Ed and Gary. I have more responsibility than just about every one of my peers, simply because I automate far more than they do. I laugh when I hear some people talk about having a lot to do at work. My boss always comes to me first whenever we implement a new product, knowing that I will find a way to fit it into my day. It may take me weeks, or months, but eventually I will find ways to alert me to issues prior to the end user finding them, and in a lot of cases, scripting the fix so all I need to do is delete the email alert.

Dave

• At my previous gig, I managed to automate away 120 man-hours a week of repetitive tasks. They had people creating email receipts for payment by hand, which was about half of that, as well as having to manually change account statuses every day, which was about an hour per day of work. The crm they were using was an old .net application with almost no automation capabilities, so I built a set of scripts to automate as many things as I could. unfortunately, this led to a number of people no longer having enough work to do, and resulted in half of the 10 person company losing their jobs over the course of 6 months. Eventually, I ran out of work to automate, and was told if I wanted to keep my job there, I would have to switch over to doing what everybody else at the company did - making debt collection calls. I ran for the hills as soon as I was told that.

• Good article. Fully agree.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply