scenarioengine.exe has stopped working - sql 2014 client tools installation

• Hi Team,

Today I am facing this weird issue while installing SQL 2014 client tools on windows 2008 R2 server. When I double click on setup.exe , an error window pop up with subject - ' Scenarioengine.exe has stopped working' .

I have checked the logs but nothing was logged in.

I have re-installed .net framework as well , but that didn't work and I have tried to install SSMS express tools package but that failed too with the same error.

Anybody has faced this issue before , any guidelines how to crack this issue?

• Remove SQL server from add remove program

• Delete the entire Microsoft SQL Server folder from the registry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSSQLServer

• Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ and search for components related to default instance. Then delete that GUID from the registry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\<GUID>

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products\<GUID>

• Reboot the server and re-try the installation again.

• Thanks for the information.

I have already removed existing SQL components completely (from both registry and control panel). I will try below fix from Jon's post, will update the progress here.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/22000496/sql-server-install-bug-failed-to-launch-local-scenarioengine-exe

Add to the registry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Bootstrap] "BootstrapDir"="C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Setup Bootstrap\"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Bootstrap\Setup] "PatchLevel"="11.00.2100.60"

Then copy from the media / temp setup directory following files / folder into C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Setup Bootstrap\SQLServer2012

x64 folder, resources folder, setup.exe

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply