Schedule DTS Package Reports Success but Fails

• Can you setup and run this job:

BEGIN TRANSACTION

DECLARE @JobID BINARY(16)

DECLARE @ReturnCode INT

SELECT @ReturnCode = 0

IF (SELECT COUNT(*) FROM msdb.dbo.syscategories WHERE name = N'[Uncategorized (Local)]') < 1

EXECUTE msdb.dbo.sp_add_category @name = N'[Uncategorized (Local)]'

-- Delete the job with the same name (if it exists)

SELECT @JobID = job_id

FROM msdb.dbo.sysjobs

WHERE (name = N'Test Command')

IF (@JobID IS NOT NULL)

BEGIN

-- Check if the job is a multi-server job

IF (EXISTS (SELECT *

FROM msdb.dbo.sysjobservers

WHERE (job_id = @JobID) AND (server_id <> 0)))

BEGIN

-- There is, so abort the script

RAISERROR (N'Unable to import job ''Test Command'' since there is already a multi-server job with this name.', 16, 1)

GOTO QuitWithRollback

END

ELSE

-- Delete the [local] job

EXECUTE msdb.dbo.sp_delete_job @job_name = N'Test Command'

SELECT @JobID = NULL

END

BEGIN

-- Add the job

EXECUTE @ReturnCode = msdb.dbo.sp_add_job @job_id = @JobID OUTPUT , @job_name = N'Test Command', @owner_login_name = N'sa', @description = N'No description available.', @category_name = N'[Uncategorized (Local)]', @enabled = 1, @notify_level_email = 0, @notify_level_page = 0, @notify_level_netsend = 0, @notify_level_eventlog = 2, @delete_level= 0

IF (@@ERROR <> 0 OR @ReturnCode <> 0) GOTO QuitWithRollback

-- Add the job steps

EXECUTE @ReturnCode = msdb.dbo.sp_add_jobstep @job_id = @JobID, @step_id = 1, @step_name = N'Dir', @command = N'dir c: > c:\TestJob.txt', @database_name = N'', @server = N'', @database_user_name = N'', @subsystem = N'CmdExec', @cmdexec_success_code = 0, @flags = 0, @retry_attempts = 0, @retry_interval = 1, @output_file_name = N'', @on_success_step_id = 0, @on_success_action = 1, @on_fail_step_id = 0, @on_fail_action = 2

EXECUTE @ReturnCode = msdb.dbo.sp_update_job @job_id = @JobID, @start_step_id = 1

-- Add the Target Servers

EXECUTE @ReturnCode = msdb.dbo.sp_add_jobserver @job_id = @JobID, @server_name = N'(local)'

END

COMMIT TRANSACTION

GOTO EndSave

QuitWithRollback:

IF (@@TRANCOUNT > 0) ROLLBACK TRANSACTION

EndSave:

It just runs a dir c: to a text file.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• Is this an Active X Script?

Jeff Matthews

Jeff Matthews

• O.K. I created a package and ran it from a scheduled job. Then I looked in the c:\ dir for c:\TestJob.txt. I couldn't find that text file. The job reported the same as the other ones; "The step did not generate any output. Process Exit Code 0. The step succeeded." I then took that code and ran it from the query analyzer and I still didn't find were the text file was created, but it reports that it executed successfully.

Jeff Matthews

Jeff Matthews

• It should have created a text file on the c: drive of the server in the root called testjob.txt. It will not be on your local c: drive, so be sure you are examining the server.

If you execute it from Query Analyzer, you would run

xp_cmdshell 'dir c: > c:\testjob.txt'

If this does not work, I think your upgrade failed somewhere.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• I made sure to check the server's local drive and my local drive (just in case), but I didn't find the testjob.txt.

O.K. basically you don't know of any problems with upgrading the client only tools to 2000 on a 7.0 server. So I could reninstall that and hopefully it would fix any corrupted files or bad installation. If not then I guess I will need to reinstall 7.0.

Thanks to everyone for their assistants!

Jeff

Jeff Matthews

Jeff Matthews

• Sorry we couldn't help. Haven't seen this, but if you get in a bind, might be worth calling MS. It's $250, but how soon could you burn $250 of your time?

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply